Catalytic Converter + Exhaust Replacement

alonsoperez91

Nov 5, 2019
Hi everyone - I just recently purchased a 2003 Toyota Sequoia 4WD Ltd. with 200k miles. Definitely needs a little TLC but my only plans with it are to shuttle my friend and I on ski trips on the East Coast. I will post a build thread soon once I've taken care of a few things.

Anyways, I bought it knowing that there was something going on with the exhaust system as it sounded like a couple leaks were present. I brought it to a Meineke in New Jersey and they told me my cats were shot and exhaust as well - Total replacement, parts + labor would cost $3000k. He may be quoting Toyota OEM parts since I've seen aftermarket cats/catback systems for less than that.

My question to you guys - Have any of you replaced your cats or exhaust systems? Any recommendations on brands that you like or think are good quality (Borla, Gibson, MF)? I live in NY so i'm going to have to get a CARB compliant cat that doesn't trip the CEL, and ideally I'd like to hear a quieter sound around town but a nice growl when I hit the gas.

Also, have any of you replaced the cats / exhaust yourself and is it possible for a relative newbie to do? I'm willing to roll up the sleeves and put in the time if it's just a matter of that (and little technical skills).

Thanks guys

Alonso

alonsoperez91

Nov 5, 2019
Sorry, i posted this in the wrong section. Mod, feel free to delete as I'll post it in the 1st gen section