Camping rigs

kevin pritchett

Dec 31, 2016
Las Vegas
We have TWO girls so I had to get one with a toilet and a shower inside. In my model they are separated so I like that. It has two king size beds with the couch and dinette that can be beds too. You can find ones that have a slide out or two, some even have a flat hauling section to put a four wheeler and a dirt bike. I would always recommend staying at or under 5500lbs total weight for whatever you're thinking about. I've always been a proponent of the old 80% of your rated towing capacity. My rig sits about 4000lbs fully loaded the way we load it and it pulls like a dream. I like pop ups mostly for the weight and having a level bed at night, otherwise I would be sleeping in a tent still.

ukrboy

Jan 25, 2017
7050becabb2113ff7104876f72b7eb78.jpg

Here's what we have. It's a 2007 Fleetwood Evolution E2. Has a toilet, indoor shower, outdoor shower, dinette, a queen size bed and a twin bed, furnace, fridge, stove and an outdoor BBQ. Has a deck in the front for a quad (up to 800 lbs) or whatever you want. And the best part - it has 22 inches of clearance!

d58230dda1e80362de3a771af2a1ab77.jpg

4539d25483faa684d8c66311e62c347b.jpg

05Sequoia

Feb 7, 2017
CA
Here is my camping setup. It isn't anything fancy, but it has two double size beds and is bullet proof. It is based off a trailer that Costco used to sell that was made by Lifetime trailers. It has a custom width axle with Toyota lug pattern and a locknroll hitch.

Attachments

• Overland 2016-681cropresize.jpg
    Overland 2016-681cropresize.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0225resize.jpg
    IMG_0225resize.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Overland 2016-500crop.jpg
    Overland 2016-500crop.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Sequoia4WD

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Here is the "camper" we currently use:

RV.jpg

It does the job, and will pop a bag of popcorn... However, it is not practical for long off road excursions. It functions well as a basecamp, and really can't be beat for that purpose but I'm looking for something I can take on longer trail runs. So, this is our new rig for camping:

Trailer_donor_prebuild.jpg

This is an old boat trailer I have had for a good 15+ years. It's days of hauling boats ended about 10 years ago. In upgrading a new boat trailer, I robbed a few features I had liked from this one. It sat in the weeds until I needed a flat trailer one day. I threw an old axle under it, a sheet of 4x8 ply, set of lights and away I went. I haven't used it since I built my 8x10 snowmobile trailer so it's time to repurpose it again! Here is my plan:

Trailer_side_draft.jpg

Trailer_rear_draft.jpg

The original frame was only rated for 2,500ish pounds, so it's not going to be very heavy duty. It's more of a starting point for having a dedicated adventure trailer. I"m ordering a 3,500 axle to fit some 6x5.5 hubs. It's going to start fairly minimalistic and will grow as we decide how we want it laid out. I'm hoping to have the bones built in the next month or so.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Here is the "camper" we currently use:

View attachment 389

It does the job, and will pop a bag of popcorn... However, it is not practical for long off road excursions. It functions well as a basecamp, and really can't be beat for that purpose but I'm looking for something I can take on longer trail runs. So, this is our new rig for camping:

View attachment 390

This is an old boat trailer I have had for a good 15+ years. It's days of hauling boats ended about 10 years ago. In upgrading a new boat trailer, I robbed a few features I had liked from this one. It sat in the weeds until I needed a flat trailer one day. I threw an old axle under it, a sheet of 4x8 ply, set of lights and away I went. I haven't used it since I built my 8x10 snowmobile trailer so it's time to repurpose it again! Here is my plan:

View attachment 391

View attachment 392

The original frame was only rated for 2,500ish pounds, so it's not going to be very heavy duty. It's more of a starting point for having a dedicated adventure trailer. I"m ordering a 3,500 axle to fit some 6x5.5 hubs. It's going to start fairly minimalistic and will grow as we decide how we want it laid out. I'm hoping to have the bones built in the next month or so.

Wow that's more drawing than I did.
Good for you on making a plan and putting it to paper.

Reactions: NomadSequoia

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Whe it was just my wife, one son and me, we used to go camping and wheeling with the truck and tent.
More kids came and less wheeling but still camping.
We haven't been either in a long time.
Last summer I drove to Montana with my second son in my Tacoma and went camping/wheeling with my friend and what do you know, the bug bit again.
So I got the Sequoia with the thought of getting us all out again.
Looking at getting the same friends hard shell roof top tent and making a platform for the back of the sequoia.
If all goes well, progressing to some sort of A frame pop up trailer.

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Here is an update on my boat trailer conversion...
IMG_4914.JPG IMG_4915.JPG
After beefing up the frame, running a 2x2x1/4" box steel front to back, building a plywood box, and making a cooler/stove slide out from MDF scrap, I have been very pleased with the results.

Reactions: Jim Smola and Shaun

kylesyoda86

Apr 5, 2017
Nothing cause we air matress up the sequoia!:) too broke for a trailer honestly but she works perfect! We stay at state parks so bathrooms and stuff are covered but yea we sleep and chamge and travel in our beast!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jim Smola