Buying 1st generation advice

Calren98

May 22, 2023
Hey guys new to the forum but not new to the Toyota world. That being said I know little about the sequoia. Wanted to get some input on if this buy was worth it or not.

Looking at a 2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Sport (asking $4k)

Its a one vehicle owner who was super meticulous about owning it. He has every single receipt and invoice from services done, all new suspension, remote start, new head unit/speakers, all new headlights/taillights, brand new Toyo tires on TRD rims, new alternator in 2022, blind spot monitoring added, aftermarket front skid plate. Also the big ticket items were done such as upper and lower ball joins in 2021. He even had the frame sealed by Toyota so the only rust spots are superficial and about the size of a penny. Has garaged it pretty much every night since he bought it. The Sequoia interior and exterior literally look brand new and better than my wifes 2019 subaru.

Now the bad thing... it has 385,000 miles but had the timing belt/water pump done at 311K. The other thing is a very small valve cover gasket leak (he mentions he has a trustworthy mechanic that has done work on this rig for 10+ years and he told him just to monitor the leak and he is fine for now).

I primarily want this rig just to haul plywood/sheetrock and wood for house projects, as well as hauling a boat on weekend occasions. I will probably be driving it once a week if that. Just want input if this is a complete total waste of time or to trust Toyota longevity and make an offer.

aguison

Jan 29, 2023
Hey Calren98
I bought my first Toyota Sequoia 1st Gen last year - a 2003 SR5 4x4. Did you buy a RWD or 4WD? At least on my car, the repairs needed were 1) valve cover gasket (cost was $385 but if you replace the spark plug gaskets would be $525); 2) check rear main seal (if a 2WD that would be about $900 and a 4WD would be $1175) and 3) brakes - prices now have skyrocketed through the roof! Front or rear would be $400-$500 for parts and labor, if rotor replacement is needed.
The price looks ok but my point is figure in additional expenses like the examples above due to the car's age and mileage. If you're like me, there will be the additional accessories you'd like to install to customize the vehicle to your liking. At the end of the day, budget another $2-3K.