Busted Lower Ball Joint - Anyone been through this nightmare??

TopGunMD

Feb 19, 2017
Harford County Maryland
Are you saying the one i'm showing in my picture is not compatible because it seems like we're talking about something different. like i had said both of the lower ball joints in my picture were mounted on my lower control arm. i know the "new updated design" wouldn't fit but in the first page of this thread there are 3 images of LBJ's and 1 is old, 2nd is revised, and 3rd is the new 2004+ design, i'm not trying to get the 2004+ i'm just trying to get the 2nd image Revised ones but your telling me the dust shield really doesn't do anything for the structure of the design? It was you post from April 4th of 2017. It just seems like you keep telling me the new design wont fit but i know this im just trying to find the revised one.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I think the Dust boot is throwing you off, they added it to the early, and 03+ so its really hard to tell the difference unless you pull them off. There is only one revised design that I am referring to in this topic and its the one in the pic above. Sorry for confusion.

Sequoia did not get the new inverted (2 bolt) design until 08 (second Gen), and that is a completely different setup, and will not work on First Gen Sequoia without pretty much cutting off the front of an 08 and welding it to first gen.

03-07, as well as 03-06 tundra all have 4 bolt setup that is a REVISED version of the 00-02 (which is same as 96-02 4runner)

Hope this clears things up.

Last edited:

SmithD

Nov 28, 2018
My left front lower ball joint just failed while my wife was taking my son to school (‘01 Sequoia). Luckily they were driving slow and nd no one was hurt. Why is there a recall for ‘01 Tacoma’s (essentially the same equipment) but Sequoia recall starts with ‘02? Seems like a real safety issue. Guess I’ll be getting my hands dirty weekend.

Attachments

Disco_Kai

Feb 22, 2019
I have a 2001 and called Toyota, my model year was not included in this recall.

Will the upper ball joint and tie rod ends for the 96-02 4runner also fit? I see lowrangeoffroad has the 555 versions too.