Answered 4wd models with the shifter, is it mechanical connection or electronic?

89LT1

Mar 6, 2019
Vehicle Drivetrain
4wd
Vehicle Year
Hi,

I am looking to pick up a 4wd sequoia and turn it into a fun "go anywhere" family hauler. While I am looking around for vehicles i see some are all push buttons (right below the radio) and some have the shifter below in the center console. I have read up on the issues that happen with the electronic solenoid loading up if not used often enough, and with the control box on the outside braking. My question is doe the shifter bypass any of these problem areas? is it physically connected to the linkage to engage the transfer case or is it connected to the same electronics the push buttons are connected to?

JRenna

Feb 3, 2019
My 2003 shifter controls High-Neutral-Low. Push buttons are fwd differential and center differential lock that utilize actuators. Regardless of the shifter, if the actuators fail it's going to suck. I miss the shifters in my old 83 pickup, 90 pickup, and 07 FJ.

Reactions: 89LT1

89LT1

Mar 6, 2019
Thanks. That is what I was looking for. I guess it is one less electronic to fail when comparing the 2001-2004 vs the push button style of 2005+. but the main week point is the actuator in the transfer case that is a push button on either.