4.7L Electric Fan Conversion

Steve

Dec 28, 2016
I am interested in doing a electric fan conversion on my 4.7L. Anyone have any do's or don'ts. Tell us what you are using if you have done it.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Biggest secret is to have a shroud made so all air that is directed and not wasted.

XPLORx4

Jan 10, 2017
Don't do an electric fan conversion. It's not worth the effort. Your stock belt-driven fan, provided that the fan clutch is working properly, should do an adequate job of both cooling and minimizing power loss. I used to run an e-fan on my other 4x4, and my alternator decided to die while I was on a 4x4 trip 3 hours from the nearest civilization. I had to limp along only on battery power, stopping frequently to get a recharge boost from companion vehicles until our group reached civilization the next day where I could make repairs. It is risky to rely solely on the electrical system to keep the engine cool on a 4x4, especially one with a V8.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Don't do an electric fan conversion. It's not worth the effort. Your stock belt-driven fan, provided that the fan clutch is working properly, should do an adequate job of both cooling and minimizing power loss. I used to run an e-fan on my other 4x4, and my alternator decided to die while I was on a 4x4 trip 3 hours from the nearest civilization. I had to limp along only on battery power, stopping frequently to get a recharge boost from companion vehicles until our group reached civilization the next day where I could make repairs. It is risky to rely solely on the electrical system to keep the engine cool on a 4x4, especially one with a V8.

Yep our current system is reliable.