2018 Platinum issues

ml2018

Nov 23, 2017
Greetings everyone. This would be my first post here, as I am new to this site, and to Toyota in general.
I am posting here, as this refers to this specific build of Sequoia - the Platinum of 2018.
I got my first 2018 Platinum Sequoia (4x4) in October. I was happy and excited about all the new safety features and creature comfort it provides on the new model.
Well, my excitement was short lived.
3rd day of ownership, the issues started. Mostly sensors: blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic, collision prevention, etc.... lights up like a Christmas tree, and invited me to visit the dealer.
Almost 3 weeks later, some of the sensors were changed by the dealer, 3 visits already, and not even 500 miles, the issue is still there.
What is the worst? They can't fix it... well, not permanently. I am getting home and the next morning the issue is up again. Some times it disappear when I restart the engine, some times, it doesn't.
Long story short: 5 more visits, still not fixed. Toyota sent their tech and that did not solved it either. Is now a buyback under the lemon law, and they did replaced with a new one.
That would have made me happy....only that the new vehicle has the same issue at 20 miles (!!!!)
3 months later, a 2nd identical vehicle, new with the same issues... this is not an accident anymore - I think that Toyota has a bigger issue on their hands right now as I see other people having the same issue on Platinum 2018 models ...
For me, this is the first, and probably the last Toyota - at this time I don't put too much trust in Toyota's abilities to fix it in time, or at all....

chinalfr

Mar 29, 2017
MA
www.sequoiatravels.com
First year of production since new facelift and some changes on the gauge cluster. Expect to have some issues as Toyota will work on fixing the bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdv2018

Dec 19, 2017
Im new to this. just bought 2018 Seq Plt for 1 week. Everything is ok so far but here is the issue. when I start the engine and then shift the gear, the car go for about very short distance and I feel a light grinding noise. This happened every times when I stop and then start then engine. Does anyone pay attention to this? It kinda bother me not knowing what it is

Dave Kerr

Mar 28, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
I just purchased a 2018 TRD Sport and have not had any troubles. The TSS takes some learning and getting used to. Toyota Date of First Use: March, 13, 2018

Attachments

• 2018 Sequoia Right Front View.jpg
    2018 Sequoia Right Front View.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 44

Macstoy

Jun 15, 2018
Mine did it two or three times and I cycled them on and off and have had zero issues since.

SkiBikeKite

Jul 20, 2018
ml2018, I really hope you just got two bad ones in a row and the issue(s) are now resolved. I just found this forum and I pick up a 2018 Platinum tomorrow!
I will report any issues.
I have a 2008 with 179k miles which has had no issues, minus one brake caliper which froze open.

Last edited:

18TRDSport

Aug 10, 2018
Western Mass.
I have a TRD Sport as well and bought in 12/12/17. I have 10k miles on it and never had an issue other than a Warning Brake come on while driving. I have had this 5 time since I owned it and it is telling me to break. I would guess it gets a stray, weird reflection and it thinks there is a car in front of it that fools the camera. As I said, 5 times in 7 months so I am ok with it.

I have heard of issues where Toyota has bought the Sequoias back due software gremlins and I do know there was a recall with centered around software.

The second day I owned mine, I noticed the weather stripping around the windshield on both sides was essentially falling off. I took it to a dealer, and they fixed it and no problems since.

Streetgear

Jan 26, 2019
I have exactly the same issue. The dealer tells me there is now a service bulletin on this issue for the early built 2018’s. Says a software update will fix. My vehicle was delivered to the dealer Nov. 2017 so should be same build as poster. My car is at dealer and is suppose to receive update in the next day or so. I hope it fixes the issue as this is annoying for a new vehicle... had it for 1 week and the issued showed up 350km’s or around 200 miles.

Attachments

• 93B7D36E-34DD-4C10-A910-7FDEB83B977A.jpeg
    93B7D36E-34DD-4C10-A910-7FDEB83B977A.jpeg
    764.2 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: TPSki