2007 Sequoia - Soy-Quoia Build

Sequoia4WD

Staff member
Dec 29, 2016
Biloxi, MS
You mentioned waiting on the correct hardware, what specifically is that? Guessing Hardware is NOT supplied with the bumper and none of the factory bolts are useable?

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
You mentioned waiting on the correct hardware, what specifically is that? Guessing Hardware is NOT supplied with the bumper and none of the factory bolts are useable?
In theory you could reuse the factory studs. One of mine was damaged in my accident. Also, the frame horns have two unused M12 weld nuts that the bumper is slotted to use. The bumper came with some hardware but the thread pitch was wrong. I went to my local fastenal store but they did not have the correct bolts in the hardness I wanted. The bumper uses (8) M10 bolts in a thread pitch of 1.25 and (2) M12 1.25 all in a length of roughly 30MM. I also bought heavy fender and lock washers, both may be overkill...

Sequoia4WD

Staff member
Dec 29, 2016
Biloxi, MS
Nice! Thanks for the info, mine is being built now, I am trying to have everything ready to go when it arrives...

The paint match looks GREAT btw! Good choice especially on that color, don't see many like that. Very nice, cannot wait to see the finished product!

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Alright guys... I'm finally back and ready to update! Sequoia4WD, to answer your question, the Tundra and the Sequoia share the same hood, the only difference being the grille. Hood itself is the same. So yes, it bolted right up.

My wife and I were in Phoenix from January 13th until the 18th. When returning to the frozen tundra, I was told I needed to travel to central Wisconsin the 20th, ready to work first thing the morning of the 21st. So my main build time just took a crap! We made it back in town just in time to pick up the Soy as the dealership closed on the 18th. I had an appointment for an alignment on Friday the 20th so suspension had to be installed, wheels painted, spacers installed and ready to get new kicks! I have to play daddy taxi when I'm not on the road, so that already kills a good portion of my day.

I finally got to the shop about 9:30 on Thursday morning. I'm not going to go into great detail here, I'm working on an install post for the suspension page but it did not go without hiccups! Three out of four corners went well. The fourth was a b-itch! It ended by me calling my buddy Jon over, me holding the shock outside the vehicle, him under the vehicle pushing on a doubled up wrench, and us snapping the top of the old shock off. I kid you not, we broke the top of the shock off! So like a moron I took diligent measurements before getting to work. We were so frustrated and tired, I forgot to take measurements after we installed lift springs, rear shocks, and adjusted the rear air suspension. Jon followed me to the shop that was scheduled to have my alignment and we both went home to bed.

A family friend of ours owns the shop that mounted my tires and did the alignment. Most of the time this is a great relationship. We often use a lot of his stuff on the side, or get hefty discounts for work he performs for us. The downside is sometimes you get pushed off... That was the case this go around. I had kid duty all day Friday so not having the vehicle didn't bother me. James finished the tire mount and alignment at 10pm Friday night. He didn't call me to tell me it was done until 10am Saturday morning. I was planning a full day of work starting by 8am and being I had to leave the next day for work, wanted to be done by supper time... Anyway, lift installed, tires mounted, ready for some more fun work!

IMG_4432_720.jpg

So, here I am getting to the shop at 10:30. Several things HAD to get done that day. I needed to install the front diff drop, front inner CV boot mod, wire fog lights, install LED bulbs and aim headlights, and install snorkel before reinstalling the inner fender liner. The snorkel was not a must but I'd rather do it now while the corner light and liner were out. My pipe-dream list was much larger but we gave up on those items very short into the day.

IMG_4433_720.jpg

If anyone decides to undertake this mod, I would suggest not throwing away the template... Here is my homemade template. It did the trick but I did make a minor mistake... More will be posted in the intake section once I get that post up.

So we were able to finish the small list above close to supper time. I went home to spend a little time with the kids and wife before leaving the next day. I ran back to the shop to do a little more cleaning before I left town and decided I should take a shot with the snorkel on.

IMG_4445_720.jpg

After 1,400 miles on the road last week, this is pretty much where we sit, for the most part. On my trip home I had a small issue with my rear air suspension. Evidently I forgot to tighten the jam nuts on the adjustment rod. It worked its way out on one side and fell out of the socket. That caused the computer to think it was riding too high and dumped all the air out while driving in traffic down the interstate. The car next to me was watching as the rear began to drop lower and lower, eventually resting on the bump stops. Thankfully the rod was still hanging in the other socket. I threaded it back in and made it home. I did a little minor tweaking today to get it back where I wanted it and made sure to double check everything.

I'm not sure how much time I will get on the rig in the next couple of days. I will be on kid duty tomorrow and Saturday, and Superbowl Sunday is a fairly sacred holiday with my wife and I. (I kid you not, it may be an even bigger deal for the wife!) I still have my dual battery setup to install, get my winch wired in and spooled, roof rack mounted, and all my roof lights wired up. Sounds like I will be home for the next couple of weeks so hopefully I get a good portion of it knocked out. I will update as I have time. Stay tuned!

Reactions: Sequoia4WD

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Alright guys... I'm finally back and ready to update! Sequoia4WD, to answer your question, the Tundra and the Sequoia share the same hood, the only difference being the grille. Hood itself is the same. So yes, it bolted right up.

My wife and I were in Phoenix from January 13th until the 18th. When returning to the frozen tundra, I was told I needed to travel to central Wisconsin the 20th, ready to work first thing the morning of the 21st. So my main build time just took a crap! We made it back in town just in time to pick up the Soy as the dealership closed on the 18th. I had an appointment for an alignment on Friday the 20th so suspension had to be installed, wheels painted, spacers installed and ready to get new kicks! I have to play daddy taxi when I'm not on the road, so that already kills a good portion of my day.

I finally got to the shop about 9:30 on Thursday morning. I'm not going to go into great detail here, I'm working on an install post for the suspension page but it did not go without hiccups! Three out of four corners went well. The fourth was a b-itch! It ended by me calling my buddy Jon over, me holding the shock outside the vehicle, him under the vehicle pushing on a doubled up wrench, and us snapping the top of the old shock off. I kid you not, we broke the top of the shock off! So like a moron I took diligent measurements before getting to work. We were so frustrated and tired, I forgot to take measurements after we installed lift springs, rear shocks, and adjusted the rear air suspension. Jon followed me to the shop that was scheduled to have my alignment and we both went home to bed.

A family friend of ours owns the shop that mounted my tires and did the alignment. Most of the time this is a great relationship. We often use a lot of his stuff on the side, or get hefty discounts for work he performs for us. The downside is sometimes you get pushed off... That was the case this go around. I had kid duty all day Friday so not having the vehicle didn't bother me. James finished the tire mount and alignment at 10pm Friday night. He didn't call me to tell me it was done until 10am Saturday morning. I was planning a full day of work starting by 8am and being I had to leave the next day for work, wanted to be done by supper time... Anyway, lift installed, tires mounted, ready for some more fun work!

View attachment 224

So, here I am getting to the shop at 10:30. Several things HAD to get done that day. I needed to install the front diff drop, front inner CV boot mod, wire fog lights, install LED bulbs and aim headlights, and install snorkel before reinstalling the inner fender liner. The snorkel was not a must but I'd rather do it now while the corner light and liner were out. My pipe-dream list was much larger but we gave up on those items very short into the day.

View attachment 225

If anyone decides to undertake this mod, I would suggest not throwing away the template... Here is my homemade template. It did the trick but I did make a minor mistake... More will be posted in the intake section once I get that post up.

So we were able to finish the small list above close to supper time. I went home to spend a little time with the kids and wife before leaving the next day. I ran back to the shop to do a little more cleaning before I left town and decided I should take a shot with the snorkel on.

View attachment 226

After 1,400 miles on the road last week, this is pretty much where we sit, for the most part. On my trip home I had a small issue with my rear air suspension. Evidently I forgot to tighten the jam nuts on the adjustment rod. It worked its way out on one side and fell out of the socket. That caused the computer to think it was riding too high and dumped all the air out while driving in traffic down the interstate. The car next to me was watching as the rear began to drop lower and lower, eventually resting on the bump stops. Thankfully the rod was still hanging in the other socket. I threaded it back in and made it home. I did a little minor tweaking today to get it back where I wanted it and made sure to double check everything.

I'm not sure how much time I will get on the rig in the next couple of days. I will be on kid duty tomorrow and Saturday, and Superbowl Sunday is a fairly sacred holiday with my wife and I. (I kid you not, it may be an even bigger deal for the wife!) I still have my dual battery setup to install, get my winch wired in and spooled, roof rack mounted, and all my roof lights wired up. Sounds like I will be home for the next couple of weeks so hopefully I get a good portion of it knocked out. I will update as I have time. Stay tuned!

Man you are absolutely knocking it out of the park on this one. Can't wait to see how that snorkel is mounted. I may look into doing one.

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
During the past week, while on sick child duty, I was able to get the winch wired up and spooled. I mounted the solenoid to the firewall, above the seam in the engine bay. Although it's rated to be waterproof, I figure since I'm remote mounting it anyway, I might as well get it up high. This also leaves it close to the driver making it easy to run cable into the drivers seat, if need be. It is wireless and my plan is to try and use that most of the time but eventually that will die without warning. I also mounted my yakima cross bars donated from my Montero. I took some quick measurements and spaced them accordingly to reuse my homemade roof rack.

Yesterday I was able to sneak away to the shop for a few hours. I finally installed the left front fender liner that went MIA after my accident. While there I also found a little time to install my bumper light bar. I didn't have time to rip into my interior and install my full lighting harness so I used a freebee harness that came with my 52" light bar. I set the light bar back as far as possible to allow a brush guard install in the future.

IMG_4497_720.jpg

That little light bar puts out some serious light!

IMG_4496_720.jpg

After that was wired up and ready to go, I finally got to installing my roof rack. I made this rack a couple years ago. I bought a three section ATV ramp, cut the hinges off, and bolted it together. When mounted on my three yakima cross bars, it can handle far more weight than my raised factory bars and it only ran me about $80 total.

IMG_4498_720.jpg

IMG_4499_720.jpg

A couple weeks ago I finally reinstalled my front sway bar. My links were shot and my frame bushings had clearly never been replaced. Although I'm sure I will never utilize them, I decided to install disconnects on the front. I settled on a set of JKS meant for a XJ/ZJ. These were roughly an inch longer than my stock links. I installed a set on my Discovery about a year ago and was pretty impressed wth them. I had to shave down the sides of the swaybar end about 1/4 of an inch but otherwise they fit great. I have not tested the flex gains at this point, so I can not fully recommend installing them but I will report what I find, when/if I actually utilize them.

IMG_4470_720.jpg

That's it for installs for now. I am planning a trip on the 18th and look forward to uploading some actual trail pics! It will feel so good to get the rig off the highway and out in nature!

Stay tuned!

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
awesome setup, your rear tire carrier bolts up to the hitch?
It does. I'm running a Hitchgate from Wilco Offroad. ( https://www.wilcooffroad.com/ ) I would not pay full price for one but I was able to find a used one on CL for $200. It's a pretty slick setup. You use a hitch pin but it also has a wedge lock to keep it from rocking, it has it's own receiver and is class IV rated for towing. It's not light but the self leveling suspension doesn't care. I picked it up before Brute Fab Force started his second go around on the Sequoia rear bumper. I'm going to make some jerry can and hi-lift mounts for it in the near future but will ditch it once I order my BFF rear.

While I like the hitchgate, my suggestion would be to spend a little more and order a full bumper from BFF. The hitchgate is nice, and is also a great quality product, but it is not an ideal fit. Mine is a center mount tower. They make a center and an 11" offset to the drivers side. I was going to change mine to an offset but realized my tire would block the tailgate taillight if I did. Instead I just off set the wheel bolts. It now swings away far enough to clear the tailgate.

Here is a better shot from the rear.

IMG_4502_720.jpg

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
While reading 05Sequoia's build thread, it reminded me of one more project I completed on Saturday but forgot to mention! It might be one of my favorites, and most helpful in the snow of Minnesota. While the TRAC and VSC have their place, and I find helpful from time to time, they suck in many off-road scenarios. So, while doing some digging, I found many talking about disconnecting the brake sensor at the reservoir. I thought this was a great plan but is less than ideal if you are in the vehicle, needing to spin as many tires as possible quick. So, I hopped on the 'ol FleeBay and bought myself a cheap knock off Toyota VSC switch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CH4X4-Toyot...ash=item2cb9fdd50e:g:GDAAAOSwx2dYGhm-&vxp=mtr

I had an empty space next to my inverter switch and installed it there. The switch has four wires. Two can be wired in to the dash lights and the other two go to whatever you are switching. I tied to the dash lights and wired the switch inline to the lower sensor wire on the brake reservoir. I installed spade connecters so I can remove the wire at a later date, if I choose. So here's how it works: When the switch is pressed in, the VSC and TRAC are "on" and function as intended.

IMG_9550_720.jpg

When I press the switch, it breaks the connection to the sensor and deactivates the TRAC and VSC. (Also shuts the switch light off)

IMG_9552_720.jpg

To fully reactivate the system you need to restart the rig. The only thing I would change would be to change the illumination of the switch. Light off=TRAC & VSC active, Light on=TRAC & VSC disabled. I may install a relay at a later date to do this but it functions for now...

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Thanks Nomad. Glad you are sticking with the crew and I can't wait to see your build thread resurrected. Wishing you guys a speedy recovery!

Reactions: Jim Smola

YXwhenUcanFAB?

Feb 26, 2017
Soy-Quoia

In the picture of the accident, I see you have a hood mount for your CB antenna. Any info on that? Also interested in the rear mount you have now.

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Soy-Quoia

In the picture of the accident, I see you have a hood mount for your CB antenna. Any info on that? Also interested in the rear mount you have now.

I used a firestik SS-174 hood mount prior to the accident. It was a little tricky to mount as there are some bend lines on the inside lip of the fender. It made the mount sit at an awkward angle. I took some bend out of the mount to compensate and make the antenna sit straight vertically but the antenna was damaged in the accident and the mount went back to its original shape.

After the accident I went to a Firestik SS-204A door mount. I like this better a lot better. Most importantly, it's out of my wife's vision so she doesn't complain about it. I run a lot of forest trail systems and plan to install some limb risers soon. The antenna mounted up front would not benefit and can actually grab more branches, pulling them into the windshield. It still snags some branches in the rear but it doesn't have as much of an effect. My only comment is to make sure you have a very stout mounting location. I picked a location that had overlapping body panels but you also need to make sure they don't come loose. I had to tighten mine up after my first trail run. I am looking into other options to make sure the screws stay tight.

Shczurek

Dec 28, 2016
You can screw your antenna mount between body and gate lift mount, there are two 8mm screws which should keep it strongly.

Reactions: Jim Smola