2007 Sequoia Makes Noise at Start up

Jonathan L.

Dec 17, 2018
I have a 2007 Toyota Sequoia. When I start my car each morning or several times during the day, I hear a whining noise that lasts for about 1-2 minutes than stops. Has anyone ever had this problem?

PhillH

Jan 13, 2019
I'm no expert, but it sounds like it's the EGR pump. It probably has another name. I'm dreading this if it happens to me. Toyota installed the starter and that air pump undernieth the intake assembly, so it all has to come off. If you replace one or the other you do both since it's so much labor cost. I would do it myself instead of paying $1000. But I would be sure that's confirmed you might get lucky and it's just a pulley.

Jav_Bez

Jul 13, 2018
Secondary Air injection pump. Usually if it's bad you'll throw code and most likely not be able to rev past 3000 RPM. Most people have been doing the bypass to avoid the heavy cost of replacing the part.

Whining could be your belt or pulley as well as stated.

cgilley

Sep 29, 2019
Late to the party but I agree with Jav. These pumps only run for a minute or so. When they finally fail, you'll get a check engine light followed by a "check heart light" when you find out how much it costs to fix it. Search for bypass kits. Toyota should be ashamed for not including the Sequoias with the Tundra recall.

Our Sequoia is my wife's daily driver. She renews her tags in June. Since this issue only happens when things are cold, by May I reset the check engine light and we're good to go. I think I'm on year 4 with this issue :).

CODoug

Dec 18, 2019
I also have this problem and was told it would be $2-3K to fix. I did find out via internet search that a bypass kit from Hewitt Technologies can fix it for way less so I bought it and I'm installing it now. I have 2 error codes and needed to get 2 different kits as I think I let the problem go too long and the problem got worse. So I'm optimistic it will take care of it for $350.

cgilley

Sep 29, 2019
And you would be correct. This is really a blot on Toyota though not as bad as all the tranny issues from Honda/Acura. My wife has a 2007, but her birthday is in June (when we need emissions). By late March or April, things warm up and I can clear the codes. Someday I'll install the bypass kit....

oh wait - I said that in September, go ahead laugh. :p

CODoug

Dec 18, 2019
And you would be correct. This is really a blot on Toyota though not as bad as all the tranny issues from Honda/Acura. My wife has a 2007, but her birthday is in June (when we need emissions). By late March or April, things warm up and I can clear the codes. Someday I'll install the bypass kit....

oh wait - I said that in September, go ahead laugh. :p
Mine had this problem for a while and my mechanic didn't diagnose it correctly for quite a while so I let it go. I think by neglecting to get it fixed, the second code (P0418) might have resulted so I had to buy the 2nd kit which was another $155 so you might wanna check your codes do see if you have both problems. Eventually the vehicle goes into "limp" mode and for mine, going up any moderate incline, the vehicle would only go 25-30 mph so you might wanna do this before that happens. Mine took maybe 9 months to a year before it went into limp mode. Hope this helps others!

cgilley

Sep 29, 2019
Well, I'm predicting a funny conversation shortly with the local dealership (they happen to be good guys so far, bought 3 vehicles and encouraged another sale). So, a couple of weeks ago Toyota notified me that they are replacing the air bags on the vehicle. Of course, if I don't wait until May, they'll see the check engine lights and get all giddy thinking I'm going to spend $3k+ to fix a stupid issue Toyota should have fixed for free... :)

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
Well, I'm predicting a funny conversation shortly with the local dealership (they happen to be good guys so far, bought 3 vehicles and encouraged another sale). So, a couple of weeks ago Toyota notified me that they are replacing the air bags on the vehicle. Of course, if I don't wait until May, they'll see the check engine lights and get all giddy thinking I'm going to spend $3k+ to fix a stupid issue Toyota should have fixed for free... :)
How many miles?

CODoug

Dec 18, 2019
Mine had this problem for a while and my mechanic didn't diagnose it correctly for quite a while so I let it go. I think by neglecting to get it fixed, the second code (P0418) might have resulted so I had to buy the 2nd kit which was another $155 so you might wanna check your codes do see if you have both problems. Eventually the vehicle goes into "limp" mode and for mine, going up any moderate incline, the vehicle would only go 25-30 mph so you might wanna do this before that happens. Mine took maybe 9 months to a year before it went into limp mode. Hope this helps others!
As an update, I installed both kits and it worked perfect and not check engine light and it drives great now!

Reactions: Jgrauman