2005 SR5 modest build

Ghostmoney

Feb 13, 2017
I had a 1999 4runner that I built for overlanding with bumpers icon stage 5 lift, but after a few trips my wife and I decided we needed something a little larger and with more power to tow.
Old rig: 29522374660_c96a86c6dd_z

I ended up picking up a 2005 sequoia with 165,000 miles on it for very cheap from an insurance auction (less than 50% of what same vehicle with clear title would cost) The damage to it was that a rat had made a home in the engine bay and chewed through the knock sensor harness.

First thing I did was splice in a new connector for the harness wire and then I changed the timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and a new battery. It now runs great with no issues.

Current Setup:

The plans for the sequoia will be:
- Icon or King coilovers and rear shocks
- Hidden winch behind stock front bumper
- Full length roof rack (Gobi stealth rack ordered)
- Goose gear drawer setup
- Rock sliders
- HID retrofit
- Onboard Shower
- Onboard air

Last edited:

Ghostmoney

Feb 13, 2017
We took it for its first trip to the mountains to snowshoe and kayak. Love this rig so much more than my 3rd gen 4runner. Transmission temps never got above 138 and my 4runner on same drive would be around 185. It is also nice to be able to accelerate up the passes and have the power to pass finally.

Kayaks loaded up

Dogs playing in snow

Woke up sunday to 8" of snow

Reactions: Jim Smola

Ghostmoney

Feb 13, 2017
So far I have been driving it for last two months to make sure it doesn't have any issues before I start adding mods to it. This go around I am wanting to keep it more of a mild build as I dumped a lot of money into the 4runner to find out it wasn't going to work and honestly it was over built. Although, it was nice being able to fly down gravel roads at 65+ and have it just soak up every bump.
So far I have only added a scan gauge to watch trans temps while towing, K02's, led interior bulbs, and weathertech floor liners.

Today I ordered a gobi stealth rack and should have that in 8-12 weeks.

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Why stock front bumper? There are some good alternatives coming out for our trucks now.
Sounds like a nice plan overall.
I loved our 3rd gen Runner (v6/5 speed), but this is definitely more accommodating.

Ghostmoney

Feb 13, 2017
I'm sticking with the stock bumper this go around because I do not plan on doing any rock crawling to where the added weight of a steel bumpers would be justified. Sequoias only have a towing capacity of 6,200 lbs and I don't want to add a bunch of weight to the rig that is not really needed. Trying to keep myself this go around from over building my rig.

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Gotcha. The winch part was mainly my interest. I've never had/needed one, but always wanted one.

XPLORx4

Jan 10, 2017
So far I have only added a scan gauge to watch trans temps while towing

How did you get the ScanGaugeII XGAUGE to display ATF temp? (My Scan-Gauge II is at firmware 3.16 and the settings below from the SG website don't work.)

Do these settings work for you?
TXD: 07E021D9
RXF: 032180000000
RSD: 2810
MTH: 00070064FE70
Name: ATF (or TFT or whatever)

Thanks!

Ghostmoney

Feb 13, 2017
I need some better mirrors for towing as I just can't see around my camper and I dislike the idea and look of just bolting on the extenda mirror options.
I really dislike the functionality of dodge tow mirrors so I ordered tundra tow mirrors hoping they would be close enough to fit. The sequoia mirror lower mounting bolts are 1 3/4" apart where the tundra ended up being 3 3/4 " apart and no way of getting them to work as they are just too big to even drill new holes in the door. Sent the tundra mirror back and ordered up a pair of dodge mirrors as they should fit with only minor trimming. Mirrors get delivered tomorrow so going to get started right away on getting them mounted. Hoping they don't look too retarded, but atleast now I will have heated mirrors.

ctfriel

Aug 5, 2017
Pfafftown, NC
At least you hope... Gobi makes nice products but their production times are terrible. 16+ weeks for a rack is pathetic.

I'm interested in your front hidden winch plans. Is there a design floating around or do you plan to modify a 4Runner or Tacoma setup?

Ghostmoney

Feb 13, 2017
At least you hope... Gobi makes nice products but their production times are terrible. 16+ weeks for a rack is pathetic.

I'm interested in your front hidden winch plans. Is there a design floating around or do you plan to modify a 4Runner or Tacoma setup?

Rack will be delivered tomorrow morning. The hidden winch I haven't started to design yet, but it most likely is going to be something I just fab up instead of trying to modify a 4runner or tacoma. Will be something I work on this winter

Ghostmoney

Feb 13, 2017
Installed the roof rack last night. Install was pretty straight forward with no issues. Only complaint I have with the rack is that it sits about 2" higher than I feel it needs to and I am not sure my kayak racks will mount to the removable cross bars since they sit so close to the floor.