2005 Sequoia Pre-Lander

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
Little follow up:

Gonna finally get around to doing some upgrades on my pig. I was waiting on the official release, but saw the new Bronco specs today and realized I should just throw some more upgrades on the ol' girl and keep running it. New Bronco isn't big enough for my needs and I think a dialed in Sequoia will smoke it if set up properly and cost me way less money. Here's what I'm thinking:

-Bigger tires are inevitable (I will say that the coils have settled quite a bit and it rides/sits/ looks a lot better now). That'll happen sooner than later, though. Torn between a 285x75x17 or the 315x70x17, but I'll probably just go big. I really like the availability of the latter.
-I'm gonna add a race radio, a modest gps, a light bar and a couple of round led "cannons" where the fog lights are, as well as back up lighting
-I did a bunch of research on nice new clear headlights and led bulbs. Probably the first and easiest thing to get around to.
-K&N Filter
-New beefier sounding exhaust (nothing obnoxious. Recommendations welcome...)
-Aftermarket front skid plate
-I may run a new wheel when I bump up tire size. I think the ones I've got just need more rubber to look good, so we'll see. I hate fake beadlocks, but may go that route. Thinking I'd do the classic Walker Evans wheels if I changed it up.

That's it for now. Updates to come shortly unless I get vetoed by the wife...

SequoiaSurveyor

Oct 2, 2020
Love your ride Frank. Nice work! . My 07L looks just like your stock pre photo. I might lift it someday. Honestly i worry about the ride afterward. I dont do enough deep offroad to justify it, but it looks fantastic. I do have the soccermom running boards, but my family appreciates them. Congratulations on the baby, afterall, thats what its all about brother

Anyway, great thread, keep posting

Roger

SiMach

Dec 25, 2020
Not much to report.

The "Secoitus" has been a great vehicle thus far. As planned, I ditched the whole third row as well as the second row seat behind the passenger (it's a four seater now). Did this for space and convenience and it's worked out great. Used it all Summer for the beach and it made life real easy, especially with the gear we had to drag around with a newborn.

If I had a complaint, it would be the front ride quality. I haven't had the time to have the preload taken out of the springs and have some more caster put in the front end. As I said before, I reallllllly think this will help with the ride quality and street manners. The ride height has definitely settled since installed, but it can be a bit jarring from time to time. The rear rides like dream. No complaints there. I'd highly encourage anyone to go with those rear shocks if you're looking for something legit to run in the rear. The front feels like it needs a lot of work to keep up with the rear.

I haven't added the LED lights up front, or the new front stereo speakers, or the race radio, or anything else that I have sitting around the garage for that matter. I think once I have a legit off road trip planned, I'll scramble to get those things done. Those who hesitate...

I would love to find a decent looking wheel with the correct dimensions that would allow me to bypass the wheel spacers. Those things make me nervous. Seems like if anything would fail it would be those first.

Kicking myself for not going with a bigger tire size as well. If I were to do it again, I would have made room for 315's and gone with those (I wouldn't run those with wheel spacers, however). You can find brand new 315's all day long for next to nothing on Craigslist. The Raptor guys will pick up their new trucks off the lot and swap the tires for a different brand or a bigger size, so they're bountiful. The cost savings on tires almost compensates for the work needed to make room for them, which I also think people overthink. A little rubbing isn't the end of the world so long as it's not doing damage (Overlanders are a bit soft). Anyone with an I-beam Ford front end can back me up on this (see: radius arm rub).

I've got more ideas than time and money, so she sits in waiting right now. I was planning on a trip to the Baja 1000 but the weather made a mess of it this year and it didn't seem worth it.

I'll try and take some better photos. She gets a bit of attention, but still fairly under the radar.
I agree with your assessment of the spacer's. Especially if you're off roading.

SiMach

Dec 25, 2020
Little follow up:

Gonna finally get around to doing some upgrades on my pig. I was waiting on the official release, but saw the new Bronco specs today and realized I should just throw some more upgrades on the ol' girl and keep running it. New Bronco isn't big enough for my needs and I think a dialed in Sequoia will smoke it if set up properly and cost me way less money. Here's what I'm thinking:

-Bigger tires are inevitable (I will say that the coils have settled quite a bit and it rides/sits/ looks a lot better now). That'll happen sooner than later, though. Torn between a 285x75x17 or the 315x70x17, but I'll probably just go big. I really like the availability of the latter.
-I'm gonna add a race radio, a modest gps, a light bar and a couple of round led "cannons" where the fog lights are, as well as back up lighting
-I did a bunch of research on nice new clear headlights and led bulbs. Probably the first and easiest thing to get around to.
-K&N Filter
-New beefier sounding exhaust (nothing obnoxious. Recommendations welcome...)
-Aftermarket front skid plate
-I may run a new wheel when I bump up tire size. I think the ones I've got just need more rubber to look good, so we'll see. I hate fake beadlocks, but may go that route. Thinking I'd do the classic Walker Evans wheels if I changed it up.

That's it for now. Updates to come shortly unless I get vetoed by the wife...
Hey how much lift did you get all around? I was looking at aftermarket skid plate's but I think I'm gonna just coat mine in bed liner. Actually thinking about bed liner for the under carriage and some of the truck.

J4roe

Mar 10, 2021
Did Frank blow up the tank orrr??? Frank, hook me up with the extended shock length on those 2.5 smoothies that you put in the rear... Thanks BRAH! You on Dezert Rangers?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

J4roe

Mar 10, 2021
I'm guessing Frank got vetoed by his wife, had kids and then sold the Sequoia... damn. Kids ruin everything!

RixTRDSport

Mar 19, 2021
im so late to the party on this thread, but it looks great! Still enjoying the truck? anything new you've done

Reactions: J4roe

J4roe

Mar 10, 2021
im so late to the party on this thread, but it looks great! Still enjoying the truck? anything new you've done

I think Frank got vetoed by the wife and ended up selling to afford "kids"... he hasn't posted in almost a year.

J4roe

Mar 10, 2021
I love when dudes start a thread and then just disappear on page 2 or 3...

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
Checked this forum for the first time in ages and saw that I was getting called out for going MIA, so here's the latest update... there are no updates.

Still have the Sequoia. It's still been great. I did do some new headlights and led bulbs, but that's fairly boring.

Got a handful of parts in the garage that I haven't had time to mount up or install. Still planning on 35's, just waiting till I wear out my 33's. Gonna have everything all clearanced beforehand so there's no issues when I do throw them on.

I thought I posted the parts list on here, but I guess it was on the TSOR Facebook page (which is where most of the Sequoia activity is nowadays, hence the reason I haven't updated this thread).

For anyone looking for part numbers, here's the parts list of what I started with:

Front Kings: 25001-138 EXT
Rear Kings: 25001-352A ("A" is for compression adjusters. Regular reservoir shock loses the "A")
Camburg Upper Arms: CAM-310006
Rear Spring ARB 2862
Wheels MR70178560500
Total Chaos Spindle Gussets
Total Chaos Diff Drop

I did a ton of research before I put the rear set up on my rig and talked to a Toyota engineer who ensured me that the rear of the Sequoia is nearly, if not completely identical to the FJ80 (ie: rear suspension aftermarket parts for an FJ80 will work on a Sequoia). That's exactly what I ordered and they've been awesome.

If I decided to drop any more money into this tank to get it to work better, I'd probably order the King bumpstop kit for the rear of the FJ80, do a secondary shock up front (or add a big ass reservoir to the front coilover), and try and figure out how to lose the front wheel spacers. For 99% of the time, I think it's plenty adequate. Those are the upgrades I would do if I had the time to actually go and flog this rig the way I'd like to.

J4roe

Mar 10, 2021
Checked this forum for the first time in ages and saw that I was getting called out for going MIA, so here's the latest update... there are no updates.

Still have the Sequoia. It's still been great. I did do some new headlights and led bulbs, but that's fairly boring.

Got a handful of parts in the garage that I haven't had time to mount up or install. Still planning on 35's, just waiting till I wear out my 33's. Gonna have everything all clearanced beforehand so there's no issues when I do throw them on.

I thought I posted the parts list on here, but I guess it was on the TSOR Facebook page (which is where most of the Sequoia activity is nowadays, hence the reason I haven't updated this thread).

For anyone looking for part numbers, here's the parts list of what I started with:

Rear Kings: 25001-352A ("A" is for compression adjusters. Regular reservoir shock loses the "A")
Rear Spring ARB 2862
Wheels MR70178560500
Total Chaos Diff Drop

I did a ton of research before I put the rear set up on my rig and talked to a Toyota engineer who ensured me that the rear of the Sequoia is nearly, if not completely identical to the FJ80 (ie: rear suspension aftermarket parts for an FJ80 will work on a Sequoia). That's exactly what I ordered and they've been awesome.

If I decided to drop any more money into this tank to get it to work better, I'd probably order the King bumpstop kit for the rear of the FJ80, do a secondary shock up front (or add a big ass reservoir to the front coilover), and try and figure out how to lose the front wheel spacers. For 99% of the time, I think it's plenty adequate. Those are the upgrades I would do if I had the time to actually go and flog this rig the way I'd like to.

Muchos gracias senior (in castilian)

LoneWolf77

Mar 17, 2021

Rear Spring ARB 2862
Wheels MR70178560500
Total Chaos Diff Drop

Hey Frank, what aftermarket light housings did you find? Just got a 2005 sequoia last month and the build is starting. Thanks

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
Just found some off of Amazon. Pretty decent fit.

Attachments

• %xMEoIR0TjOcDcHs+LXt4Q.jpg
    %xMEoIR0TjOcDcHs+LXt4Q.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33