2005 Sequoia Pre-Lander

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
I've always been a Ford guy and have built up a bunch of different platforms for prerunning, chasing, exploring and surfing around Baja (three F150'a, a couple of other Broncos, a ranger, two Expeditions, etc, etc). I'll post some links once I'm not deemed a "newb".

Anyways, after coming to my senses and realizing that I need a reliable, sensible all-around family vehicle for my wife, myself and our expectant daughter, I decided on the Sequoia platform.

I liked the size, cargo space, seating options and variations, and towing capability. And of course, the Toyota reliability. I spend a ton of time in Baja and I wanted something that would cover all my bases down there and around town. Being able to do some real deal off road miles without getting the s^&* kicked out of me while still being able to carry and lock up a large load of gear was imperative. I also didn't want to look like a derelict while driving around town (a spooled rear diff in the supermarket parking lot doesn't garner a whole lot of positive attention).

There were a couple of things that prolonged my purchase, however. I couldn't find one with low miles and when I did they'd usually be long gone by the time I could get to 'em. I also didn't like the lack of bolt-on aftermarket parts. However, I did my homework and realized that there were quite a few options for these rigs if you get a little creative, and indeed, they can be worthy off-road rigs.

With all that being said, I was able to find a clean platform not too far from home. It's a 2005 with just under 92k miles. Limited 4wd. Timing belt and water pump have been replaced already. Interior is immaculate, and it's got a fresh paint job (although good from far, but far from good).

I immediately ordered some Weathertech mats, installed an Aux input cord into the stock stereo and ordered new front speakers to replace the blown out ones that were in there before. I also ordered the metal replacement rear latch that I've learned can be such a nightmare.

Immediate Plans are:

-Front Suspension: King bolt-in extended travel coilover, Camburg upper arm, TC spindle gusset and Diff Drop
-Rear Suspension: OME 2862 Spring, King 2.5 reservoir shock, and aftermarket lower links and limit straps
- 285x 75x17 BFG KO2's on Method 701's (black)
-Sleeper LED light bar and pods front and rear
-Race radio

Future Plans:
- 2.5" bypass shock up front
-2" King bump in the rear
-onboard air
-full size spare
-custom " prerunner" style bumpers
-low profile roof rack

I think that with the upgrades it can be a reliable, versatile rig that can do a bit of everything and not be too flashy.

I posted in the suspension sub-forum, but I'm looking into shock options for the rear. It'd be amazing if one of the major shock companies would offer a specialized shock for the rear.

Here's a pic of the new girl in the driveway. I've got 3 1/2 months to try and get this build done before my first born arrives so I'm gonna try and be hasty with my progress.

More to come...

Attachments

• sequoia photo.jpg
    sequoia photo.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 436

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
I guess I'll update my thread, even though it seems a bit quiet around here.

Everything I need to get my project going is either waiting patiently in my garage, ordered, or being shipped.

I got cold feet in regards to the 285x75x17's. I ended up going with the more tried and true 285x70x17's. I stuck with the BFG KO2 (C rated) and the new Method 701's in black. I really don't want to use wheel spacers if I don't have to and the added diameter sounded like it may be a can of worms in terms of clearancing. This truck will receive a proper flogging in Baja on a fairly regular basis so I'd like to avoid any unnecessary weak points

I already received my Camburg upper arms, TC spindle gussets and diff drop, the 2862 OME rear springs, wheels & tires and some lights.

Still waiting on my shocks, which are on order. I have another post about it, but I did quite a bit of homework and went with Kings all the way around. I ordered the extended travel coilover for the front, however I realllllly wish they made this with a reservoir. Fox makes a reservoir option and I can't for the life of me figure out why King doesn't do the same. I'm either going to have one added later or do a secondary shock with the TC mount. I'd like to avoid any of the horrendous "clicking" associated with bypass shocks, so I'll either do a smoothie with the compression adjusters or a single tube bypass (free bleed).

I used a Landcruiser rear shock ( 25001-352A) that seems like it should be a direct fit. I'll post more once they're on the truck. I think it could save everyone looking for a rear shock option a lot of headaches. There's a matching King bump stop set up that comes with mounts and everything. I'm doing my research to figure out whether or not they'll fit on the Sequoia as well.

I did the full Weathertech floor mat treatment and have some Vision X 4.5" light cannons that I'll throw up front somewhere. Gonna do some additional LED lighting front and rear. I'd like to do a flush mount amber and clear pod out the back.

Going to keep the bumpers and running boards for now, but I imagine a set of tube "rock sliders" will be on there fairly soon. Should cut down on any body damage and more importantly, the soccer mom jokes.

Photos to come. In the meantime, here's a link to my old F150 build that also had a similar "Pre-Lander" vibe.

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1039

Last edited:

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
Well, I finally got everything and had it all installed yesterday. I'm picking it up this afternoon, but was sent some teaser photos from the guy doing the install. Very stoked with how it's turning out. I'll give some more feedback on the rear shocks once I get some miles on her.

Attachments

• Sequoia.jpg
    Sequoia.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 423
  • Front Suspension.jpg
    Front Suspension.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 392
  • Rear Suspension.jpg
    Rear Suspension.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 367
  • Spindle Gusset.jpg
    Spindle Gusset.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 365

TheWhip

Apr 12, 2019
Looks great! Do you minding sharing the specs on your Method wheels? Diameter, width, backspacing, offset, etc?

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
They're the Method 701's. 17x8.5. 0 offset, 4.75" backspacing. Because of the spindle gussets I had to use 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers.

I've gotta wait for the springs to settle, but I think I need to back off the preload on the front coilovers. I asked them to set it up so it was level, but the front end feels like it's pogo-ing off the bumps. It also wanders a bit on the freeway, so I think I'll drop the front end down and have them put some caster in it when they re-do the alignment. Should help it track straighter and ride a bit smoother.

Reactions: TheWhip

TheWhip

Apr 12, 2019
Thanks for taking the time to share the helpful info on the wheels. Your rig looks great!

Mtoddsolomon

Jun 11, 2019
@Frank_the_Tank i'm in a similar situation, but on the opposite side of the country. We have our first due in November and right now we have my 16 F150 (4.5" Maxtrac with fox 2.5s and 35" KO2s), my wife's company car that she loses during maternity leave, and an 02 Sequoia. The Sequoia was bought new by her parents and was her first car that she beat all to crap. I'm trying to get it back in really nice condition before the baby gets here. I'm assuming that when the baby arrives i'll be in the sequoia and she'll be in my truck so I'm trying to get it all setup to where I'll be happy driving it as well as able to drop a boat into some remote marshes here in the coast of SC.

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
Not much to report.

The "Secoitus" has been a great vehicle thus far. As planned, I ditched the whole third row as well as the second row seat behind the passenger (it's a four seater now). Did this for space and convenience and it's worked out great. Used it all Summer for the beach and it made life real easy, especially with the gear we had to drag around with a newborn.

If I had a complaint, it would be the front ride quality. I haven't had the time to have the preload taken out of the springs and have some more caster put in the front end. As I said before, I reallllllly think this will help with the ride quality and street manners. The ride height has definitely settled since installed, but it can be a bit jarring from time to time. The rear rides like dream. No complaints there. I'd highly encourage anyone to go with those rear shocks if you're looking for something legit to run in the rear. The front feels like it needs a lot of work to keep up with the rear.

I haven't added the LED lights up front, or the new front stereo speakers, or the race radio, or anything else that I have sitting around the garage for that matter. I think once I have a legit off road trip planned, I'll scramble to get those things done. Those who hesitate...

I would love to find a decent looking wheel with the correct dimensions that would allow me to bypass the wheel spacers. Those things make me nervous. Seems like if anything would fail it would be those first.

Kicking myself for not going with a bigger tire size as well. If I were to do it again, I would have made room for 315's and gone with those (I wouldn't run those with wheel spacers, however). You can find brand new 315's all day long for next to nothing on Craigslist. The Raptor guys will pick up their new trucks off the lot and swap the tires for a different brand or a bigger size, so they're bountiful. The cost savings on tires almost compensates for the work needed to make room for them, which I also think people overthink. A little rubbing isn't the end of the world so long as it's not doing damage (Overlanders are a bit soft). Anyone with an I-beam Ford front end can back me up on this (see: radius arm rub).

I've got more ideas than time and money, so she sits in waiting right now. I was planning on a trip to the Baja 1000 but the weather made a mess of it this year and it didn't seem worth it.

I'll try and take some better photos. She gets a bit of attention, but still fairly under the radar.

Attachments

• IMG_0043 2.jpg
    IMG_0043 2.jpg
    759.5 KB · Views: 306
Reactions: defecation

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
Here's a couple more (better) photos of the rig...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 3.04.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 3.04.56 PM.png
    853.5 KB · Views: 293
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 3.10.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 3.10.33 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 269
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 3.10.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 3.10.47 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 268

EricinCt

Jan 24, 2020
Connecticut
Nice truck. I’m hoping to do a similar build with this one. Unfortunately I have the rear air suspension to slightly complicate things.

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
Nice truck. I’m hoping to do a similar build with this one. Unfortunately I have the rear air suspension to slightly complicate things.
Shouldn't complicate anything. I have AHC check out my build

916z06

Nov 14, 2019
Awesome looking truck, this is the route I was going to go but decided not to as the King were on back order. Next on my list was going to be Elkas but couldn't get them ordered in time. I'm waiting to wear out my 285/70-17s and go up to 285/75-17s but maybe wait and see how you get the 315s to fit on yours first. Keep us updated!

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
There's plenty of people running 35's out there. I found at least a dozen builds on the T.S.O.R. Facebook page that had photos of how they made 'em clear. Didn't seem like too big of a deal. They definitely fit the vehicle a lot better (proportion-wise). My buddy runs a shop that does Raptor upgrades and says he has a free pile of 315's taking up space, so I may make the jump up sooner than later. The mpg sacrifice will suck, but this thing is already a pig around town. I imagine on long road trips it won't make much of a difference in fuel economy. Not enough to lose sleep over at least.