Unanswered 2004 Limited Tranny Fluid Change

macsdad4

Mar 3, 2019
Vehicle Year
Vehicle Drivetrain
4wd
I have an 04 Sequiia with 240,000 miles on it. I don’t know the history on the transmission fluid change. I read in some places you shouldn’t drain and refill because it may break the transmission. Others say do it. What should I do? Drain and flush or pay to have it completely changed?

Meoshe

Dec 1, 2018
From what I have read about most automatic transmissions is you can do a fluid exchange and filter change but should never flush/powerflush. The flushing process dislodges debris that clogs up the valves and orifices of the tranny.

Feb 18, 2019
Ive never understood this thought process. If you disco the transmission line at the cooler and run the vehicle while adding new fluid, how in the world are you dislodgong anything that isn't being dislodged during normal driving? I've always drained the pan, put in new then disco'd the line after the cooler to flush the entire system while adding new fluid. I do this till the fluid comes out new, then check the dipstick. Done, all new fluid. You're not putting some high pressure through your system

thilt

Jun 5, 2017
I have an 03. Manufacturer says not to change it. I have called around. Toyota dealer says they can flush it but said don't bother if it is shifting fine and looks/smells clean. Local trusted shop I use says to not flush an old transmission because it may do more damage than good. They basically said the same as the dealer... If it aint broke, don't fix it. I left mine alone and it still runs great with 210K. Hope that helps.

Dec 31, 2017
Telluride, CO
Yea, but you are not draining all the fluid. So this is not a flush! It adds to the old fluid slowly. Have done this on all my toyotas and have had over 300,000 miles with no problems. So are you going leave the motor oil in there also without a change?