Unanswered 2004 Limited Tranny Fluid Change

macsdad4

Mar 3, 2019
Vehicle Drivetrain
4wd
Vehicle Year
I have an 04 Sequiia with 240,000 miles on it. I don’t know the history on the transmission fluid change. I read in some places you shouldn’t drain and refill because it may break the transmission. Others say do it. What should I do? Drain and flush or pay to have it completely changed?

Meoshe

Dec 1, 2018
From what I have read about most automatic transmissions is you can do a fluid exchange and filter change but should never flush/powerflush. The flushing process dislodges debris that clogs up the valves and orifices of the tranny.

thilt

Jun 5, 2017
I have an 03. Manufacturer says not to change it. I have called around. Toyota dealer says they can flush it but said don't bother if it is shifting fine and looks/smells clean. Local trusted shop I use says to not flush an old transmission because it may do more damage than good. They basically said the same as the dealer... If it aint broke, don't fix it. I left mine alone and it still runs great with 210K. Hope that helps.

Reactions: larry t

Trideyota

Recognized Member
Dec 31, 2017
Telluride, CO
Yea, but you are not draining all the fluid. So this is not a flush! It adds to the old fluid slowly. Have done this on all my toyotas and have had over 300,000 miles with no problems. So are you going leave the motor oil in there also without a change?

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
Ive never understood this thought process. If you disco the transmission line at the cooler and run the vehicle while adding new fluid, how in the world are you dislodgong anything that isn't being dislodged during normal driving? I've always drained the pan, put in new then disco'd the line after the cooler to flush the entire system while adding new fluid. I do this till the fluid comes out new, then check the dipstick. Done, all new fluid. You're not putting some high pressure through your system

stevec5000

Dec 21, 2019
Mine has 220k miles and the tranny fluid is pretty dirty and needs to be changed so I'm going to flush it and replace the fluid and filter soon as I get a chance. There are some Youtube videos showing how to flush out all the old fluid.

What did you end up doing? I had the same dilemma a couple of years ago with my 2004 4Runner.( 200,000 mi ) After finding a repeatable Tranny shop the owner suggested that he drain the fluid (just what was in the pan) and then refill the pan. (No filter change.. No flush). I no longer have that 4Runner...but recently purchased a 2006 Sequoia with 205,600 mi... I'm thinking about performing the same tranny service on it.

TomRoach

Jan 10, 2021
This is an older question so this may be too late, but I changed mine gradually. 6 quarts out, 6 quarts back in. Once every oil change for the first few changes. I've heard that doing a flush may force particles into areas where they don't fit and clogs up the works so I didn't do that. I bought an '02 with 220k and have done this twice by now and will probably do it again this next time I change the oil. Also, change the tranny filter as soon as you can. You'll have to drop the pan, but that's a good thing since you get to see the magnets. If there are big chunks of metal, you might be screwed, but the fine particles are normal.

Reactions: Makit Worx

Tender_Vittles

May 5, 2021
A nice way to “gently” change the tranny fluid is to find and disconnect the trans return line that comes back from the cooler. Stick that line in a bucket. Get a case of new fluid and a suitable funnel. Get a quart or three ready to pour. Have someone start the motor. The trans fluid will begin filling the bucket. Start pouring new fluid in while the old fluid is pumped out. Keep checking color of expelled fluid. Eventually, after several quarts, the fluid running into the bucket will turn bright pink. Bingo. All the old fluid was pumped out and new fluid is now in its place. This takes care of the fluid in the pan AND the fluid in the torque converter. Reconnect the return line and top off the trans level. Done. Works like a champ, no particles are “forced” into places they should not be. Tranny, including the torque converter, are full of new fluid.

Bilge

Jul 22, 2021
I have an 03. Manufacturer says not to change it. I have called around. Toyota dealer says they can flush it but said don't bother if it is shifting fine and looks/smells clean. Local trusted shop I use says to not flush an old transmission because it may do more damage than good. They basically said the same as the dealer... If it aint broke, don't fix it. I left mine alone and it still runs great with 210K. Hope that helps.
So...with 210k miles on it, have you ever changed it ?

Bilge

Jul 22, 2021
change out all of the trans fluid......you would not go 240,000 miles on the same 5 qts of original engine oil ?

This question has been ask numerous times......it is a myth !