2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD - Pre-Purchase Question

aguison

Jan 29, 2023
I was looking at a 2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD this morning (Sun 1/29/23) to buy as a second vehicle. Everything looked good except when I shifted the lever to Drive, the "D" green indicator would not light up. Everything else, i.e., P, R, 2, 3 the green indicators would light up. When I test drove the vehicle, when it reached 50 mph the sound it make was like it was in a lower gear than should be. I checked the RPM gauge and it looked ok, somewhere around 2,500 rpm.

What could this be? Would it be something that might be expensive? Should this be something that I walk away from?

Appreciate this forum's advice. Thank you very much!

So Yo Say

Jul 6, 2023
This is very common problem. The light bulb under the drive indicator (D) burned out. Mine has the same issue

clmanaa

Jun 9, 2023
I was looking at a 2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD this morning (Sun 1/29/23) to buy as a second vehicle. Everything looked good except when I shifted the lever to Drive, the "D" green indicator would not light up. Everything else, i.e., P, R, 2, 3 the green indicators would light up. When I test drove the vehicle, when it reached 50 mph the sound it make was like it was in a lower gear than should be. I checked the RPM gauge and it looked ok, somewhere around 2,500 rpm.

What could this be? Would it be something that might be expensive? Should this be something that I walk away from?

Appreciate this forum's advice. Thank you very much!
Same drive indicator light issue with mine. Those tranny's have overdrive issues so beware.