2001 sr5, the grey whale

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Might as well start a thread even if it's minor compared to the rest of yours.
Bought a 2001 Silver Sky Metallic Sequoia SR5 in sept 2016 with 142,000 miles on it for $5,000.00
Had some odd things missing or worn for its age.
The aftermarket inalfa sunroof is missing the shade. Very noisy without it and I haven't been able to find a replacement.
A headrest and its platic guides were missing from the second row seat. Thanks to eBay it's back.
The inner taillight was cracked, weatherstripping on the passenger window was shot, the inner window trim on the tailgate was MIA.
I have found trdparts4you.com to be a great resource for factory parts over the years. I ordered a bunch of misc trim from them to get the tree back to decent.
I replaced the antenna mast with a cheapie off eBay, lasted a month :(
I bought some used stock uzj100 rear springs and some bilstein 5100 shocks for a 1.5/2.5" lift.
Installed the no name wheels and 33s off my Tacoma.
My headliner sags terribly, I'll have to address that at some point.
When they installed the sunroof, they cut the huge overhead console and upholstered block off plates for the front and rear sections so I still have lights and the computer up front. I'd like to find stock sunroof consoles when I fix the headliner.
I'm in the process of replacing the front door speakers with 2ohm infinity separates and aftermarket adapters.
My father got me some TYC headlights for Christmas as my original ones are very hazy. Just ordered some clear Depo turn signals to try out at the same time I install the headlights.
That about brings it current.
If you're on Instagram, give me a look at @the_big_tree_01 if you want.

Reactions: Jim Smola

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Have replaced the antenna twice since December, added clear corners and aftermarket replacement headlights.
New spark plugs and a smog check.
Balanced the wheels, finally got it aligned.
Ordered a bumper, bought some lights for it.
Replaced the front speakers and used some adapters from car-speaker-adapters.com to make it happen.

Last edited:

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
View attachment 335 View attachment 336 View attachment 335 Have replaced the antenna twice since December, added clear corners and aftermarket replacement headlights.
New spark plugs and a smog check.
Balanced the wheels, finally got it aligned.
Ordered a bumper, bought some lights for it.
Replaced the front speakers and used some adapters from car-speaker-adapters.com to make it happen.

Love those adapters.

NomadSequoia

Jan 3, 2017
Nice man. I picked mine up for 3750$ w/ some things to fix up as well. What antenna did you go with the second time?

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Nice man. I picked mine up for 3750$ w/ some things to fix up as well. What antenna did you go with the second time?
I let the seller know it had failed within a couple weeks and he sent me a new one. The seller is blue_veg on ebay. The second one is holding in there for now but the truck only sees weekend duty...

That is a great price, I thought I did pretty good until I really dug into it. I should have offered less, but oh well. I'm happy regardless.

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Took the plunge on a very expensive can of 1D6 (silver sky metallic) spray paint from ebay.
Going to test it out on my fender flare that the PO completely bungled.
If it's a good enough match, I'll get some more for the BFF bumper and Stubbs sliders.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Took the plunge on a very expensive can of 1D6 (silver sky metallic) spray paint from ebay.
Going to test it out on my fender flare that the PO completely bungled.
If it's a good enough match, I'll get some more for the BFF bumper and Stubbs sliders.

So how much was the can of paint?

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Spent the better part of the afternoon trying to fix my third row seats and finally hooking up the rear bumper mounted flood light.

Boy those rear seats are a pain when they get all bent out of whack. Thankfully I don't have to remove them very often but the last thing I want to do is fight with them every time.
I pulled the latches apart and tried to bend them back into some type of order. I think I managed to get them working right, barely.
The backup light needed (2) 8' extensions from Black Oak. Then I shortened the leads off the relay, and shoved the B.O. switch in the blank by the steering wheel for now. I'll get comparison pics tonight when it gets dark.

Last edited:

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
image.jpg image.jpg So here is stock reverse lights vs (1) Black Oak flush mount 10Watt flood, mounted in the rear bumper about a foot to the left of center.

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg So I got a chance to retouch my fender flare.
So far it looks a little dark.
I didn't do a whole lot of prep, scuffed it up enough to get rid of the old rattle can and cleaned it. There's some gouges that will show through but it was mainly a color match experiment.
Even if it is the wrong color it will still look better than before.

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
image.jpg image.jpg Before leaving feedback I am attempting to reach out to the seller for a solution to the obvious color difference.
While I get that matching 17 year old paint can be a challenge, these aren't even close :(