2/18/2017 Foothills State Forest Trail Ride

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
This past weekend I was able to get off the pavement with the Soy! My brother Matt (white Pathfinder), friend Jon (Maroon 80 Series), and his friend Ryan (Jeep) were able to get out to the Foothills State Forest outside of Pine River, MN. Conditions were outstanding. Mid 50's in February, in Minnesota! Doesn't get much better. Trails were not as challenging as they would have normally been so no one got stuck. Typically the snow would be much deeper and more slick but with recent above average temps and rain, the snow was very sticky and our aired down tires made very good traction. Only the top inch or so of ground was thawed, so we didn't sink in too deep either.

We started out in Fergus Falls, where Jon, Matt, and I live. Rolling out just as the sun is coming up.

IMG_4512_720.jpg

We traveled to a little town of Motley to pick up Ryan, who lives in Moorhead, MN. From there we turned north and away from the main highways. I went a little out of my way and picked up a cousin who lived in the area and wanted to join us. Here is the crew after airing down, ready to hit the trails.

IMG_4355_720.jpg

Another of the Soy, waiting to get dirty. (and my cousin Ryan, ruining the picture...)

IMG_4344_720.jpg

After venturing down a logging road, we found the nearest trail entrance and went for it.

IMG_4519_720.jpg

The trail was great, and I was very pleased with the performance of the Soy. It handled anything and everything I could throw at it.

IMG_4388_720.jpg

We traveled just over 20 miles on a 50/50 split of logging roads and ORV trails. We stopped about half way through, grilled some lunch, and let the kids run wild.

IMG_4380_720.jpg

It was a great day and I can not wait to get out again! Hopefully next time we can get into a little more trouble and utilize some of our extraction gear!

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
This past weekend I was able to get off the pavement with the Soy! My brother Matt (white Pathfinder), friend Jon (Maroon 80 Series), and his friend Ryan (Jeep) were able to get out to the Foothills State Forest outside of Pine River, MN. Conditions were outstanding. Mid 50's in February, in Minnesota! Doesn't get much better. Trails were not as challenging as they would have normally been so no one got stuck. Typically the snow would be much deeper and more slick but with recent above average temps and rain, the snow was very sticky and our aired down tires made very good traction. Only the top inch or so of ground was thawed, so we didn't sink in too deep either.

We started out in Fergus Falls, where Jon, Matt, and I live. Rolling out just as the sun is coming up.

View attachment 345

We traveled to a little town of Motley to pick up Ryan, who lives in Moorhead, MN. From there we turned north and away from the main highways. I went a little out of my way and picked up a cousin who lived in the area and wanted to join us. Here is the crew after airing down, ready to hit the trails.

View attachment 346

Another of the Soy, waiting to get dirty. (and my cousin Ryan, ruining the picture...)

View attachment 347

After venturing down a logging road, we found the nearest trail entrance and went for it.

View attachment 348

The trail was great, and I was very pleased with the performance of the Soy. It handled anything and everything I could throw at it.

View attachment 349

We traveled just over 20 miles on a 50/50 split of logging roads and ORV trails. We stopped about half way through, grilled some lunch, and let the kids run wild.

View attachment 350

It was a great day and I can not wait to get out again! Hopefully next time we can get into a little more trouble and utilize some of our extraction gear!

Awesome trail report!!