17x8 with 265/70 R17s

Jet70

Feb 7, 2021
Hey there fellow first geners. First post. I know there are always a lot of tire size questions, i thought I would share a pic/info to add to the mix.
First, sorry for the crappy photo. was walking outside and remembered I wanted to share and keep forgetting, so snap it quickly (ill share a better one soon)

This is non lifted, stock with new 17x8 Pro Comps and 265/70 R17 Goodyear Duratracs

They fill out the wheel opens well. BUT! there is some rubbing up front when the steering wheel is fully turned.
This is our grocery getter and has the bay seat, and beside typical Catskill Mountain terrain, it wont be going off-road (have the FJ for that)

Attachments

• IMG_4488.JPG
    IMG_4488.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
Reactions: Ghost

APart11

Jun 22, 2023
Hey There,

I'm scanning these forums right now because I have the very same question because I am running the same tires on a stock-heigh 2005 Sequoia, and I have little kids as well. NOT looking for a big lift.

Did you end up removing your front mudflaps, or come up with any other brilliant solutions? I have been searching for a 1" lift but can't find anything that doesn't jack the vehicle up 2" or more.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for the front end rubbing at hard left or right.

Thanks,

~Drew

SoCalMike

Dec 17, 2022
Hey There,

I'm scanning these forums right now because I have the very same question because I am running the same tires on a stock-heigh 2005 Sequoia, and I have little kids as well. NOT looking for a big lift.

Did you end up removing your front mudflaps, or come up with any other brilliant solutions? I have been searching for a 1" lift but can't find anything that doesn't jack the vehicle up 2" or more.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for the front end rubbing at hard left or right.

Thanks,

~Drew
First Gen Offroad (https://www.1stgenoffroad.com) is a good starting point for lift kits and anything else First Gen Sequoia related items. Agreed, most leveling kits I’ve found start at 2” of lift.

When I lifted my 2005, I put on 33” (stock wheels), took off the mud-flaps, and installed 1.25” spacers to get rid of the rubbing. I left the running boards on for my kids which helps.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Reactions: Andrewr05

Flank

Oct 19, 2019
When I lifted my Gen 1, it had a very nice 2-3" King setup with Camburg arms, etc, and still rubbed. My issue was two fold - Sequoias were not built to be lifted and room for larger tires was not considered, and I also had aftermarket wheels with a smaller backspace (pushed the tires out further) and did not tuck under the vehicle like OEM. This and not the tire size (285s) caused the tires to rub through the mud flaps. I the front end up from 2.5-3" and that helped. I ran running boards and with kids as well.

Reactions: Andrewr05