Why is the J80 LC considered to be so much more capable than the Sequoia?

ThusForgotten

Oct 16, 2017
Hey there, I'm new here. Just picked an 02 Seq up last weekend. I am absolutely loving it so far.

Just out of curiosity, why is the J80 Land Cruiser considered to be so much more capable than the 1st generation Sequoia?

From my research I have so far found that the Seq is only about 500 lbs heavier, has a 6 inch longer wheelbase, and probably the most important factor would be the approach and departure angles. The Sequoia's (stock) being 28° approach/20° departure. I would assume the J80 LC is much greater stock than the Seq's, but I cannot find any literature about it online. Other than that, the 1st gen Seq has a bit more power, uses slightly less fuel, and is probably (as I have never driven a J80) a much more comfortable vehicle to drive.

All that being said, why isn't there a larger following for the Sequoia? It seems to me like it should be an extremely capable (for what it is) offroad vehicle.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
Well, the Sequoia is bigger, heavier, and IFS. 500lbs can translate into a lot of gear and armor for an 80. Not to mention factory selectable lockers.

It's a plus size 3rd gen 4runner, basically.

I think that the reason there isn't more of a following is the shear size of the Sequoia. Even with my low slung build, I'm still taller than most 80s on mild lifts.

Big and wide is not your friend on a trail.

Last edited: