Sunroof Problems...

Nisken

Dec 12, 2017
Howdy!

I have a 05 Limited and since I've owned it the sunroof acts funny.

The sunroof will move forward and backward, tilt up and down, without issue. However, doing any of those things besides front to back automatically is asking too much. If I mess with the tilt controls I can get the sunroof to "seal."

When the dealer had my rig, they said my sunroof cables were dragging and my motor was weak. I find that hard to believe because my motor is capable of moving the roof without issue. As far as I can tell, there is no initialization procedure for the sunroof of our vehicles (i've tried about 5 different suggested methods with no success). I've swapped out the dome light assembly in case that was bad with no change.

Any ideas?

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
I had this issue with my audi, but not the sequoia. The issue was the sunroof contacts on the switches.

Nisken

Dec 12, 2017
Fixed it.

Came across this video:

And decided to give it a shot. However, I figured while I was in there I would clean the gears as well. I cleaned out the gears and housing and replaced the grease with some Ultra Lithium grease. When you reassemble the motor, you must make sure the planetary gears are aligned properly. All you do is align three arrows imprinted in the planetary gears. When you reassemble the housing make sure the planetary gears to do not move and you’re good to go.

Sunroof is fully operational meow.

Reactions: mulze42 and BenK

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
So yesterday I noticed for the first time that my sunroof will open about 80% all the way and then stop. If I push the button again it will fully open. When I press close it seems to close fairly slowly. So would a cleaning of the syem help? Or do I have bad switches or? Any suggestions will help.

Nisken

Dec 12, 2017
Cleaning my motor and greasing with white lithium grease worked to fix all of my issues.

Not sure if it needs to be recalibrated but the automatic open feature works but I still have to press the button again to move the sunroof all of the way back. When I do my sound deadening I plan to clean and lubricate my sunroof rails.

Be careful not to break your magnets when removing the motor. When taking apart the gear box, ensure all of the arrow markings are aligned otherwise the motor will not function properly.

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
Cleaning my motor and greasing with white lithium grease worked to fix all of my issues.

Not sure if it needs to be recalibrated but the automatic open feature works but I still have to press the button again to move the sunroof all of the way back. When I do my sound deadening I plan to clean and lubricate my sunroof rails.

Be careful not to break your magnets when removing the motor. When taking apart the gear box, ensure all of the arrow markings are aligned otherwise the motor will not function properly.

Thanks very much for the info. Will give it a try, I've had the roof open a decent amount lately too so there could be some gunk or something stuck in there.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...oonroof-closes-almost-then-opens-halfway.html

Try that sequence out for you.

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
Sooo updated. When looking at my 2006 Owner's Manual on page 40 it states in the sliding operation "to open: push the "slide" switch on the rear side. The roof will open and stop partway 135 mm (5.3 in) from the fully opened position. When you push the rear side again the moon roof will open fully."

I guess I never noticed it before but with that being said everything has been failing lately on my truck so I guess I've just been paranoid. Though I do think a good PM of cleaning the motor might be needed when it gets colder out.

Also you can open the moon roof from the driver's door keyhole. That's pretty neat.

**Update** So trying it again it opens normally, stops, then push button again and it opens completely per user manual. However, when pressing the close button if its open partially it opens fully and then you can press the close button again and it will close slowly and it appears to struggle a bit. So my plan is to clean the tracks and re-grease and see how that works.

Last edited: