Smola's 2003 Toyota Sequoia Build Thread

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Any difference or reason you went tjm and arb instead of one or the other?
Great upgrades, really digging the rear storage. Wish I had the skills to build something similar.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Any difference or reason you went tjm and arb instead of one or the other?
Great upgrades, really digging the rear storage. Wish I had the skills to build something similar.

When I purchased from just differentials they said they liked the TJM better so I got that for the rear and only ARB was available for the front. Both have performed equally as well as each other.

Here are a few more shots of what I take for a trail ride.
IMG_8154.JPG
IMG_8152.JPG
IMG_8153.JPG

Reactions: Sequoia4WD

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
I love these builds where the overall product doesn't look insanely modified, but its the stuff a regular person wouldn't notice that makes the truck extra functional. I'm looking forward to copying some of your ideas Smola

We sure have an awesome group here and I'm very thankful for all the feedback you guys provide. If I inspire anyone than I feel even more vindicated about what I'm doing. Thanks again guys.

magikbean562

Feb 4, 2017
so with the stereo, was it a straight up basic install? or are there any ohm issues like the speakers? i want to ditch my stock one, but unsure if i can just get any stereo or a specific one. thanks!

Reactions: Jim Smola

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
so with the stereo, was it a straight up basic install? or are there any ohm issues like the speakers? i want to ditch my stock one, but unsure if i can just get any stereo or a specific one. thanks!

This was a very basic install

Sequoia4WD

Staff member
Dec 29, 2016
Biloxi, MS
You mentioned tie rods on your maintenance list, both inner and outer?
Having trouble finding info on inner TR...
Trying to figure out why it's over double the price...

Reactions: Jim Smola

Sequoia4WD

Staff member
Dec 29, 2016
Biloxi, MS
Ok, but you did both inner and outer right? I'm not finding much on tundra/Sequoia inner TRs...
Guessing it wouldn't be much different from Tacomas and 4Runners I've owned.
Any tips or special instructions to make the job go smooth?
Also Want to do the LCA bushings and wondering if I an aftermarket complete LCA with preinstalled bushings would be good or if I should try to replace the bushings in my factory LCA?

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
Ok, but you did both inner and outer right? I'm not finding much on tundra/Sequoia inner TRs...
Also Want to do the LCA bushings and wondering if I an aftermarket complete LCA with preinstalled bushings would be good or if I should try to replace the bushings in my factory LCA?

The outer TREs are pretty straightforward. The inners, however, took some creativity. The tool I rented from my local AutoZone didn't work since none of the supplied adaptors fit. I had to buy a smallish self-adjusting pipe wrench to get the inner TRE off. Even then, it was a minor inconvenience.

I have yet to see a post or thread of anyone replacing the LCA bushings off an OEM LCA for sequoia/tundra. Seen plenty of T4Rs and imagine the process would be similar. I haven't read too many good things regarding aftermarket LCA replacements (Dorman, moog, etc.)

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC

I had the shop put them in while I had my lockers installed so I can't speak to how hard it was to do.

Reactions: Sequoia4WD

1stgenoffroad

Aug 21, 2017
www.1stgenoffroad.com
Jim, your rig is the coolest one I've seen. How does it handle compared to some of those FJs in the background of some of your photos? And please tell me where you found that TRD supercharger.

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
Question in one of the first pics in your original post you have two gun cases that look suspended on the side of the truck around the right rear wheel. How are they suspended?