Shock adapters for Rear axle

Scott Jackson

Recognized Member
Jan 10, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have seen these adapters before, and was never impressed with build quality, but I found some made by Pro-comp that Seem strong enough that I am confident in using them. 5/8 stud, welded to thick bracket. So, thought I would give them a stry

Also, this increased your Shock options significantly, only problem is the rear lower mount, I was able to find larger bushing that fit, but had to use spacers because the loop and bushing are shorter in length.

So, was able to use 14" travel shocks, and I got all my articulation back. We went up last weekend, and there was a couple hills that had a lot of holes that really maxed our articulation, I walked right up. Friend with Toytec BOSS kit with the 24" shocks struggled. (Had to use speed) just not enough travel in the rear with 24" shock. (neither of us have lockers... yet)

So, with these and my new custom sway bar links, I am finally happy with how my Rear suspension performs and rides. Just glides over large rocks and dips.

And best part, I am done messing with those upper stud mounts!! Hate getting those off...

IMG_20170719_190856.jpg

IMG_20170715_085219.jpg

Reno

Oct 11, 2017
Ok, I love the idea but I have a couple questions. Wht is your lift now with those 14s and did you happen to measure previous droop and new droop? Also love the sway links where did those come from?

Scott Jackson

Recognized Member
Jan 10, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ok, I love the idea but I have a couple questions. Wht is your lift now with those 14s and did you happen to measure previous droop and new droop? Also love the sway links where did those come from?
Reno - sorry I never did a pre measurement, But the longest shocks I could find that would fit factory mounting were about 4" too short. This is why I went with the adapters. I still need to measure the new drop. Sway Bar links I made myself using fab parts from Low Range Off road.

Really impressed with the ride I get with those links, It seems to allow more travel, but yet, I can still fly around corners without feeling tippy at all.

Rezkid

Oct 12, 2017
Scott,

What PN# Bilsteins did you end up going with? Do they seem to be valved correctly for the rear?

Scott Jackson

Recognized Member
Jan 10, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
@Scott Jackson any update on those rear Bilstein Part #s?
Sorry, completely spaced it, here is the part number I used. Keep in mind you will need to either drill out the lower bushing, or find larger replacement to fit the 14mm mounting -

And the mount needs to be at proper angle to prevent binding, I think its right around 45 Degrees from Frame, but not sure, Just mount the top, compress, and extend axle so that shock follows lower mounting the entire range.

33-185569

Last edited:

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
If you wanna run Bilstein, go with 33-230429.

It's a stem and eye fitment, but the lower mount needs to be modified to accept the 14mm pin.

Or if you want a direct fitment, Dobinson GS59-685 or GS59-575 is complete bolt on.

Both shocks are ~28.5" long with about 11.5" of shock travel, which will accommodate any OME rear coil for the Sequoia.

See my build thread for details.

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
The entire point of installing the 33-185569 is to eliminate the stem, as well as J coils that lift about 5.5" as they are 30" long.

As you stated, the adaptors can bind if not installed just right. Keeping a stem allows the shock to move about radially as the suspension cycles.

At 5.5" of lift, the Dobinsons are right at the edge of being maxed out if one keeps the OEM panhard bar and fitment.

A 30" shock is overkill since the limiting components of droop are the panhard and emergency brake lines.

Scott Jackson

Recognized Member
Jan 10, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
As you stated, the adaptors can bind if not installed just right. Keeping a stem allows the shock to move about radially as the suspension cycles.

At 5.5" of lift, the Dobinsons are right at the edge of being maxed out if one keeps the OEM panhard bar and fitment.

A 30" shock is overkill since the limiting components of droop are the panhard and emergency brake lines.

I get what your saying, and it's all correct for most people, but once you get the right angle ( not hard, and permanent setting) it actually allows more movement then the stem would allow and MUCH stronger.
This was the best setup for MY build, probably overkill for some. I come from a Rock-Crawling background, so I build from that experience.
Your right about panhard, so it was relocated, and I rerouted my E-brake cables, all works perfectly.

Highway ride is Excellent, Off-road even better. ( and not to mention takes 1/8 time to swap out the shocks)

BTW, very impressed with your build.. NICE WORK!!

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
I get what your saying, and it's all correct for most people, but once you get the right angle ( not hard, and permanent setting) it actually allows more movement then the stem would allow and MUCH stronger.
This was the best setup for MY build, probably overkill for some. I come from a Rock-Crawling background, so I build from that experience.
Your right about panhard, so it was relocated, and I rerouted my E-brake cables, all works perfectly.

Highway ride is Excellent, Off-road even better. ( and not to mention takes 1/8 time to swap out the shocks)

BTW, very impressed with your build.. NICE WORK!!

Got any details on the relocation? Since you've gone that far with the panhard and ebrake, it changes things. My rationale doesn't apply anymore. Don't think I missed it on your thread, did I?

And thanks for the kind words.