Radiator problems

smwway

Jun 26, 2017
My sequoia is a 2001 sr5 model 4x4 with75k. Recently we were about to take a 2000 mile trip and was inspecting the engine compartment. I found a very very slight leak at the top of the radiator. So i decided to replace the radiator. While I was in there I decided to change the hoses, thermostat, hose clamps and radiator cap. All good right? No the system seemed very pressurized. Like the hoses were hard as a rock. I tried everything in the book to bleed the air out of the cooling system.
But to no avail... Still hard as a rock. After a week of messing with it in sub zero temps outside. I finally decided to check the operation of the new thermostat. One thing I noticed is that the aftermarket thermostat has no check valve or hole in it. Which helps bleed the air on the opposite side of the thermostat. Hose depressurizes and i think... Fantastic!
500 miles from home. After a night of rest I awake to coolant everywhere under my truck. Radiator expanded at the top and was losing antifreeze as fast as I could pour it in.
I purchased the radiator with a lifetime warranty from adavanced autoparts. So I found one that had it in stock. Bought a few tools and replaced it in the parking lot in about an hr. Everything has been a ok for the last 1500 miles. Towing trailers etc. So the moral of the story is! Buy OEM parts. I believe the aftermarket thermostat is what started the whole mess, maybe the after market radiator cap...
I ended up putting in stock thermostat and radiator cap btw before the radiator blew. I wish I put in a oem radiator. But this ones holding up.. So hopefully its going to last. I hope this helps someone steer towards spending the extra $$$ for better parts than auto zone, advanced, napa etc. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

Jeff Redding

Feb 24, 2018
I bought a napa thermostat and noticed it did not have the "dongle" but had a really small pin hole near the edge of the plunger. Did not see it until I held it up to garage lights.

I did not like this and went OEM too. So I cannot say if it would have worked or not...just something I noticed.