SoberNomad

Oct 23, 2018
Hello, everyone! Recently bought an ‘05 Sequoia SR5, planning to build it into a long-distance travel warrior. This is my first Toyota, first time buying a high-mileage used vehicle. Also my first time conversing in an online forum! Looking forward to learning as I go through the build process.

McConnell-Hand

Feb 23, 2017
Land of entrapment. Albuquerque NM
Congrats. Post some pics of the rig and get er going. I bought mine high mileage and my first Toyota also, So i can tell you and I think many will agree, its a pretty safe purchase. Do some of the normal maintenance like fluids, hoses, belts and pulleys, etc. You should be golden. Good luck. You picked a good forum. A lot of good info and not all the other crud that come with those huge forums where anyone and everyone can post their crappy attitude posts.

CaliforNeil

Oct 18, 2018
Congrats. Post some pics of the rig and get er going. I bought mine high mileage and my first Toyota also, So i can tell you and I think many will agree, its a pretty safe purchase. Do some of the normal maintenance like fluids, hoses, belts and pulleys, etc. You should be golden. Good luck. You picked a good forum. A lot of good info and not all the other crud that come with those huge forums where anyone and everyone can post their crappy attitude posts.
I'm new, too. Still researching and keeping my eyes open for the right Sequoia but I wanted to chime in here and say I appreciate this forum already.
When you advise that you do the fluids/hoses/belts etc - any youtube videos you can reference for that? I've never changed hoses on a car and would like to be that hands-on when I get a Sequoia.
Thanks!
-Neil

McConnell-Hand

Feb 23, 2017
Land of entrapment. Albuquerque NM
there are a lot of videos on youtube. There are probably more associated with the Tundra, but under the hood everything is the same for the most part. I bought a Haynes repair manual and reference that for most of my stuff. But also, just put your hands on it and try different techniques. I did my timing belt, water pump, pulleys, gaskets, hoses and then also a new radiator fan and referenced I think 4 different toyota/lexus videos. If you have questions, put them in here in the appropriate areas and we will help the best we can.

Reactions: CaliforNeil