Nov 30, 2017
Topsail Beach, NC
Hey guys,

Vehicle rundown:
2002 Seq 4wd
185k miles
New plugs
New Tbelt ex

I'm new here and I have a few questions. Is there anything to check or modify to get the best highway mpg possible. Does anyone replace their 02s periodically? I'm assuming they are the OGs because the plugs were. I do have an exhaust manifold leak, but I really don't feel like putting on a set of headers ATM. Besides, wife wouldn't like that because my lift and tires are on the way :D.

My last trip I was seeing something like 15mpg at 75mph (14mpg in town) on 87oct. Im not expecting 20mpg, I'm just asking if anyone has done anything with a noticeable gain?

Thanks guys!

Radtree

Nov 30, 2017
Just returned from a trip to Colorado, from Central Texas. 14 hours each way and mostly all highway there and back. Averaged 14.5 mpg at 75-80 mph but we were driving into a 30 mph north wind(cold front). Coming back, averaging 16.5 mph, not fighting winds and coming down in elevation (downhill). 2004 2wd bone stock, no mods. I know a lot of people say don’t bother trying to get better mileage out of these sequoias because the money spent will negate the gains in mpg. I’m going to start my quest for 20 mpg with a few simple mods.

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
Just returned from a trip to Colorado, from Central Texas. 14 hours each way and mostly all highway there and back. Averaged 14.5 mpg at 75-80 mph but we were driving into a 30 mph north wind(cold front). Coming back, averaging 16.5 mph, not fighting winds and coming down in elevation (downhill). 2004 2wd bone stock, no mods. I know a lot of people say don’t bother trying to get better mileage out of these sequoias because the money spent will negate the gains in mpg. I’m going to start my quest for 20 mpg with a few simple mods.

What are the simple mods out of curiosity?

Tytus

Jul 13, 2018
Last year I have made a 5 weeks family vacation trip: 5 persons with a lot of luggage. Sequoia - stock 2007 SR5. From 5500km (~3300 miles) I have got averege 22mpg (12.8 l/100km). Counting by bills from all tankstops and mileage from odometer. Road was not only highway. It was totally mixed: highway, city, mountains up and down and offroad.

IMO the key to better fuel milege are:
- floating but stable speeds on highway;
- but don't use cruise control; cruise control is too much focused on keeping exact speed.
- engine breaking as much as possible (manual downshifting).

Reactions: barko4

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
Thanks Tytus. We are about to head out to Yellowstone from WI and I'll keep this in mind at least when I'm driving. Right now using Gas Buddy and a 16 MPG average we are looking at about $600 round-trip.

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
So after a 3300 mile trip to Yellowstone from WI we averaged 14.9 mpg on 80 mph roads out west. You definitely see an improvement at lower speeds and I would say Mike's post is probably the most accurate for what I'm experiencing.

Reactions: barko4