Maybe a Starter Issue....

fowldarr

Apr 26, 2018
I know this is my first post, and I'll do an introduction thread with some pics this weekend. My sequoia has a whine from the engine compartment. My (certified) Mechanic friend believes that the starter is not disengaging all of the way (as it's making a noise that he is hearing when the key is turned off) It runs and drives fine, but I can't imagine that this is a good thing. Apparently, it's been doing this for quite some time as it was my wife's daily driver, and she just didn't tell me about it. Now she has a new suburban, and the sequoia becomes my driver.

At first I was relieved when he told me it was the starter, I've changed plenty of starters in my life. Then he showed me where it was.

Here are my questions:
1) Has anyone else had this issue?
2) Why would any engineer in their right mind put a starter somewhere that is inaccessible without dismantline half the freaking engine?

(I don't expect a real answer to the second one)

Thanks for the help everyone, I look forward to being part of the forum.

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
This issue has come up before. Yes the location is a pain, but it's a straightforward remove and replace.

Swing by the FB Group Toyota Sequoia Off-Road. There's more activity there and this topic has come a more than a few times.

Also, this site is only, like, a year old, and comparing us to a site T4R.org or TW, we are few and far apart.

fowldarr

Apr 26, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I was starting to worry there was nobody out there. I'll find the FB group, thanks for the tip.

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
I agree, it is a bummer that more of those guys on the FB group don't come here. I think this platform has a lot more flexibility in terms of building a good knowledgebase for the platform. I've learned a lot about vehicles in general since coming on this site and Sal is single handedly keeping this thing running.

Reactions: Sal R.

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
Definitely agree. If I have an idea of something I would like to have done to mine I first check to see if Sal has done it and heavily copy his idea, and if not then start researching other places.

Reactions: Sal R.

fowldarr

Apr 26, 2018
Alright, since I'm new to this forum, I'm going to throw this out there for you guys to tell me what's helpful to the community.

I am going to replace my starter. I see a couple of videos on youtube on how to do it.

Do you guys want a detailed write up on this? It does not look complex, just involved. Should I just throw up a link to the youtube video? What works best for you guys ( I want to contribute to the community, but my build thread won't compare to Sal's)

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
In my opinion a detailed write-up would be great though a Youtube video is just as helpful too if done correctly.

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
Alright, since I'm new to this forum, I'm going to throw this out there for you guys to tell me what's helpful to the community.

I am going to replace my starter. I see a couple of videos on youtube on how to do it.

Do you guys want a detailed write up on this? It does not look complex, just involved. Should I just throw up a link to the youtube video? What works best for you guys ( I want to contribute to the community, but my build thread won't compare to Sal's)

There's a service manual floating around in here somewhere with detailed pics and steps.

You should start there.

Links to the vids you used are also helpful for anyone else that stumbles across this site.