Lower trialing arm upgrade

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
So our lower control arms are very weak and the more capable my truck becomes the harder lines I tend to try and tackle on the the trail. So before I find myself stranded because of a bent lower trailing arm, I thought I would get these heavy duty ones installed.

They are made by Rokmen for an FJ Cruiser but fit our trucks with an added spacer of 3/8". These are the adjustable probseries. Best of all they are made here in Colorado US of A

I chose to just use one spacer on one side instead of two smaller spacers on each side. Now the spacers need to be used on each end of the control arm so the control arm lines up properly.

I was without spacers so I made some out of some scrap aluminum that I had laying around.

Here is a picture of the part number
515F15AD-DD9F-4523-AB87-CC1E48651E8D.jpg

Stock arm on a dirty truck
IMG_8133.JPG

I sinched a strap around the axle towards the front to help keep the axle from moving. Only do one side at a time.
IMG_8135.JPG

I cleaned up the stock bolts so I could reuse them. I put some grease on the bolt shafts just before install. IMG_8140.JPG

A liberal amount of anti-seize was used on the threaded section of the new control arm.
IMG_8138.JPG

Side by side
IMG_8137.JPG

Installed and emergency brake holder bolts right up
IMG_8141.JPG

Here you can see the 3/8" spacers I made out of some aluminum I had. Not fancy but functional. You can see they are on each end of the trailing arm on the same side to keep things straight and running smooth.
IMG_8150.JPG

And here we have it. Went for a test drive and everything feels just like it did before the upgrade so all is good.
IMG_8143.JPG
Time for install was 2hrs and that included making my own spacers. Subtract 30min if you already have the 3/8" thick spacers.

Next will be adding armor to the trailing arm mounts on the frame and on the axle side.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Looks good!,
Are you running the stock length? or are they a bit longer. I probably need to extend mine a little bit.

So far stock length. Do you think I should go longer? What benefit would I get from setting them up longer?

Scott Jackson

Recognized Member
Jan 10, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
So far stock length. Do you think I should go longer? What benefit would I get from setting them up longer?

Just to compensate for the lift. Since the higher you go, the more your axle is pulled forward. In some cases, at full drop, the tire will rub against the body. I do not think the sequoia has a problem with this unless you start going past 4" of lift. It's also an OCD thing, if you like your tire in the factory location. I don't think you have to worry about it on yours, It looks fine.

silverback04

Recognized Member
Jan 9, 2017
Of course -

Part # AR1727983B
Size: 17" x 9"
Lug Pattern: 6x139.70
Offset: -12
BackSpacing: 4.53
Bore: 108
Load Rating: 2800 lbs

I love these wheels, they fit really nice, and have a great feel. I am running Big O, Big Foot A/T - 315/70R17
thanks, i have similar wheels but the offset isnt right so i have to used a wheel spacer, i want to get wheels that i dont need the wheel spacers anymore and this helps, so i might get these thanks again