Loud clunking from the rear after OME 2866 install

Nisken

Dec 12, 2017
Howdy,

Installed OME 2866 and 2886 coils. They gave the truck a good lift and I no longer rub on my 275/75/17's.

However, I noticed a loud clunking after leaving my drive way (small curb) and when going over speed bumps at any speed.

Any help here? All of my suspension bolts are tightened to factory spec and etc. No idea where this clunk is coming from. It's pretty severe. I haven't seen anyone else who had issues with these springs on the rear. I greased my rear propeller shaft as well.

After reading some posts here is seems like this is a common issue that’s been resolved with shock extenders? I know the Bilstein 5100 tear shocks are rated for 0-2” of lift from the manufacturer. The 2866’s are probably giving me over 2.5 of rear lift.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
I'm guessing it's your spindle coming into contact with the coil.

Check for wear marks on your front coils.

Nisken

Dec 12, 2017
It's coming from the rear, i'll check the front just in case. Sounds can be hard to run down. I ordered rear shock extenders, hopefully that gives me the extra length i need from my 5100's. the true solutions will be longer rear shocks some day. Icon will make you custom ones if you send them measurements.

My next issue is adjusting my rear pinion angle to remove driveline vibration. however, new control arms are gonna be expensive.

Nisken

Dec 12, 2017
Bilsteins were over extending themselves. Issue was remedied after installing extenders. I intend to switch from OME to dobinsons and remove the extenders.

Nisken

Dec 12, 2017
Definitely and my springs are too tall for my liking. I’ll be switching to dobinsons springs and shocks.

Rene

Jul 8, 2018
I had the same issue for awhile when I put my 2" lift. It ended up being the one thing I didn't think of looking at since I focused so much on what I had just put on my sequoia. It was a lose rear swaybar link bolt. Check them.