How many miles on your tree? Any major issues other than general maintenance?

XPLORx4

Jan 10, 2017
Just turned over 265,000. Only major issue was failure of the secondary air induction pump system, which triggered limp-mode and the MIL. Fixed it with the plug-and-play SAIP bypass kit for a couple hundred (vs several thousand to repair SAIP system).

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
145k now. No major issues but it sure feels like there's a lot more miles than that.
Every time we've done general maintenance, things have been loose or very old.
It hasn't let me down in a couple 8 hour round trip drives or anything and I'll feel better when I can check out the timing belt, but I do admit to being nervous on long drives.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
145k now. No major issues but it sure feels like there's a lot more miles than that.
Every time we've done general maintenance, things have been loose or very old.
It hasn't let me down in a couple 8 hour round trip drives or anything and I'll feel better when I can check out the timing belt, but I do admit to being nervous on long drives.

Has the timing belt ever been replaced?

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Not sure. There's no sticker for it but there's signs of a bunch of recent cooling system work (new radiator, water pump, hoses, etc). The PO said it had been replaced at 90k but not sure I'd trust a craigslist seller ;)
I'm going to pull back the upper left cover when I can and see if I can peek at the condition of it.

DoLittleDailey

Feb 2, 2017
177k on my 2004, no major problems. Until this past week... I had a mechanic replace my water pump, timing belt etc last year. A few months ago I lost my oil pressure signal, this past week my truck started hesitating on acceleration, until it finally lurched and died! Had it towed to the dealer. Found out the last guy had misrouted the wiring harness that runs to the crank sensor and oil pressure sensor, allowing the belt to eat through over the past year...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jim Smola

silverback04

Recognized Member
Jan 9, 2017
192k just did the front passenger hub bearing, my fault i took the sequoia swimming and got stuck so that destroyed the bearing. besides that no issues.

Npetric

Apr 3, 2017
Im around 220k on ours. Mostly just general maintenance. I had a fan clutch lock up on a road trip in the middle of the night once. Did a radiator around 180k because the top tank was starting to crack. Just noticed the other day the steering rack is starting to leak. When I did the lift I replaced upper and lower arms ( lower arm bushings were starting to get loose)
Not bad for the mileage, and a heck of alot cheaper than my Duramax! lol

Rob

Familiar Member
Apr 4, 2017
I bought my one owner 2001 2 years ago. I bought it needing a transmission at 185k. Previous owner took very good care of it, completely stock at the time, and have documentation an inch thick. Overdrive gear went out.

I upgraded to the improved 04 transmission. Never looked back, and got into it cheap needing repairs.

194k on the clock now, healthy as can be

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
I bought my one owner 2001 2 years ago. I bought it needing a transmission at 185k. Previous owner took very good care of it, completely stock at the time, and have documentation an inch thick. Overdrive gear went out.

I upgraded to the improved 04 transmission. Never looked back, and got into it cheap needing repairs.

194k on the clock now, healthy as can be

Was the 04 Trans an easy swap with no modifications needed?

Rob

Familiar Member
Apr 4, 2017
Yes. I had a shop throw it in but it's simple. Different kind of fluid, and I think the tail shafts tip is all that's different. Shifts fine with 2001 electronics etc. Whatever it needs, your trans has it and it's a simple swap over.

Reactions: Faultedman85

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Yes. I had a shop throw it in but it's simple. Different kind of fluid, and I think the tail shafts tip is all that's different. Shifts fine with 2001 electronics etc. Whatever it needs, your trans has it and it's a simple swap over.

Thanks for all the info Rob.

Sequioa4x4

Jun 9, 2017
Im at 246K Just did my 1st rear wheel bearing on Thursday.
You do this yourself? I'm thinking I've got one going out with the "worn mud tire" sound and feel. I'm running new ko2' so it shouldn't be the tires. Any way to check for this?

reezyfasheezy

Jul 6, 2017
The wife and I just bought a 03 limited with about 130k on it. Single owner car, previous owner took really good care of it, only problem is it is an Ohio car so there is some rust on the frame. Just got the timing belt done to keep my mind at ease, and had to have the power steering rack replaced due to a bad leak that developed shortly after we brought it home.

All in all we've already spent some money on this car, hopefully it lasts for at least 5 years!

Jason Colman

Feb 27, 2017
West Palm Beach, FL
You do this yourself? I'm thinking I've got one going out with the "worn mud tire" sound and feel. I'm running new ko2' so it shouldn't be the tires. Any way to check for this?
I used a chassis ear. It has clamp that goes on each wheel with a set of headphones so you can switch and hear between each wheel as your driving. if you look online you might be able to rent a set. I bought a set used for $50 once i figured out which one it was I ordered the parts. took it apart but Had to take the axel to a machine shop to press everything off and back on Put it back together. Everything is great except my seal is leaking now. Have to pull it apart to change that seal again.

Last edited:

Nisken

Dec 12, 2017
2005 @ 156K, 7K in preventative maintenance and maintenance done. Only real issue I had involved the air pump under the intake plenum ($100 OEM from eBay). Exhaust manifolds have a leak that needs to be addressed sometime soon.