Dome override/ headlight cutoff

1down4up

Jan 13, 2017
Does anyone have a way to put in a dome override, and or know a way to cut the headlights?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

XPLORx4

Jan 10, 2017
Could you be more specific? What is a dome override? And by "cut the headlights" do you mean how to disable daytime running lights or something else? (You can "cut the headlights" by using the headlamp switch on the turn signal stalk, or more permanently by unplugging the bulbs...)

Reactions: paulstoute

1down4up

Jan 13, 2017
Just want to be able to shut off headlights with the key on. And be able to turn on all the dome lights without opening the door.

paulstoute

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 28, 2016
Portland, OR
stoutewebsolutions.com
Just want to be able to shut off headlights with the key on. And be able to turn on all the dome lights without opening the door.

Being able to turn on the dome lights can be done using the dome switch. At least in my 07 I can just use the switch to go from door to on or off.

For the headlights, I'm not sure to be honest. I'm sure you can rig a switch into the headlights to allow you to turn them off from within the cab, kind of as a master cut off. But I'd be concerned that the switch or new wiring would fail and then you'd have no headlights at all. Super Dangerous.

XPLORx4

Jan 10, 2017
On my '05, the DRL's shut off when the transmission is in Park and the parking brake is engaged, even if the engine is running. If you want, you can also completely disable the DRL's by unplugging the gray connector between the battery and the fender.

If you want to wire a switch to turn on ALL dome lights at once, you'll need to simulate the circuit that's used when the door opens. First, check what happens to the switch when you open the door. Chances are that when the door is closed, the switch is open (no contact) and when the door closes, the switch closes, completing the circuit (probably ground). You could tap into that wire and run a switch to a location of your liking, and have the switch wired to ground so that when it's activated, all the dome lights will come on simultaneously.

I guess if you want to get really tricky, you could create a relay-based circuit wired so that if both front map lights are on, it engages a relay to turn all dome lights on using the same door-switch circuit.

McConnell-Hand

Feb 23, 2017
Land of entrapment. Albuquerque NM
Xplorx4 said it first. I unplugged the grey connector, between the battery and the fender, and now they operate like regular lights, when you turn your lights completely off they don't have the DRL's operate.
I also hard wired my fog lights to my parking lights ( was careful after a buddy tried and wired his fogs to his blinkers, woops) But now I operate from no lights, then parking lights and fogs, then all on with the ability to run my brights and fogs together.

Rhodey

Feb 25, 2017
Being able to turn on the dome lights can be done using the dome switch. At least in my 07 I can just use the switch to go from door to on or off.

Is there any wiring I should be looking at for the dome light switch in the center dome? My 05 has an aftermarket rear entertainment system installed and the on/auto/off toggle only controls the dome lights on the unit; the front personal lights never illuminate unless they're manually turned on. It would be great to have the front lights illuminate upon entry.

Reactions: Jim Smola

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Is there any wiring I should be looking at for the dome light switch in the center dome? My 05 has an aftermarket rear entertainment system installed and the on/auto/off toggle only controls the dome lights on the unit; the front personal lights never illuminate unless they're manually turned on. It would be great to have the front lights illuminate upon entry.

I've thought about this same thing.