2007 Sequoia - Soy-Quoia Build

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Greetings all.

Here is my current build. In November I purchased a 2007 Sequoia Limited. Living in Minnesota, decent 1Gen's are hard to come by. Most have fallen victim to the overuse of road salt and corrosion. Ours arrived at our local dealership from western North Dakota. (read no road salt) I needed a larger rig, both for work and to haul around the family. I also enjoy getting off the beaten path as much as possible. So my plan was to build a capable rig to get me out of the trouble I find off road.

Here is the Soy-Quoia the evening we bought it:
IMG_4122_720.jpg
I added my CB and RAM mount for my iPad but that was as far as I got on "mods".

However, my build plans were moved up... Two weeks after I purchased the vehicle, I went off the road and ran into a couple of barricades. Here is the I-94 custom version:
IMG_4171_720.jpg

So, time to modify. Here is a list of what I have, and plan to install at this point:

OME 2886 Springs Front
Bilstein 5100 24-188265 Front
Bilstein 5100 33-187174 Rear
Treatwright 285/70/17 with matching spare
Wilco Hitchgate swing away spare tire holder with spare fuel and Hi-Lift Jack
Brute Force Fab Tundra winch bumper with LED fog lights and 20" LED light bar on top
Smittybilt X2O 10K winch with Synthetic rope
100 Series Snorkel Mod
Dual Optima battery setup
Roof rack swap from old vehicle
52" front LED light bar on rack, dual 4" LED pods of each side (rear 20" in future)
LED Headlight bulbs

I feel like I'm forgetting some things. The project has kind of gotten away from me...

Since I had to replace almost the entire front clip, I opted to go with a tundra front bumper and grille. This was the wrong choice... It was not as easy as it appeared and added close to a week of messing around. I think they did far more work then was necessary but its done...

The Soy should be done the middle to end of this week, including painting the bumper the same factory Toyota color. My wife and I will be leaving for Phoenix on Friday and won't be back until Wednesday the 18th. We were hoping the Soy would be done in time to take on our trip but I will have far too much work try and fit in. When I get back it will be all hands on deck!

Stay tune for updates!

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
I have purchased them and they are assembled. Everything listed above has been purchased and is waiting to be installed.
Here are the springs assembled.
IMG_4321.JPG

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
We loose fit the bumper today. I am waiting on the correct hardware to get it fully bolted on but it looks good. I am planning to add a full brushguard in the future but will run it this way for now. Brushguard will likely come in stage 1.5, when I add the Stubbs sliders.
IMG_4327_720.jpg

IMG_4328_720.jpg

IMG_4326_720.jpg
Smittybilt X2O hidden inside. I have to remote mount the solenoid box due to space restrictions.

The guys at the body shop were pretty surprised to hear I plan to ACTUALLY wheel this rig. I told them it is not a mall cruiser, I plan to give is a full "custom" pinstripe job.

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Wow I just realized it is color matched.

I was torn on the color matching. I ordered the bumper bare metal and planned to coat it flat black. When it arrived I was on the fence between matching or black. I decided to go matching and could sand and respray it if I didn't like it. After seeing it, I really like the matching. I'm glad I went that route.

Jim, where did you end up mounting your solenoid? I am planning a dual battery setup in place of the existing battery. I think I'm going to end up building my own battery box and may just mount it to that but I'm open to suggestions.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
I mounted it on the passenger side behind the bumper. I power the winch off the passenger side second battery. Ill post up a pic of the winch controller hookup.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
You can see the winch remote hookup by the headlight. The man box is just behind that mounted to a factory support
IMG_7632.PNG

Reactions: Sequoia4WD

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
You can see the winch remote hookup by the headlight. The man box is just behind that mounted to a factory support

Can you post a picture of your passenger side battery? I have toyed with this idea but I'm not positive how to mount it over there. I'm using two optimas I already have. Both fit in the existing battery location but that will make headlight access impossible. Not really an issue since I'm moving towards LEDs but there is no shortage of space under the giant hood!

Also, I really like the remote hookup. My winch has a wireless option, which will be handy until the battery dies, but also has a hard wire hookup. I like the idea of having access without popping the hood.

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
This looks awesome and makes me even more excited to get the matching front and rear Brute Force Fab bumpers!! Going to do a powder coat color match.
I talked to Billy Thursday of last week. He is being pretty tight lipped about the rear bumper but said it's coming along good. I told him to hurry up so I can see it and put my deposit down! My wife did not find that comment to be very funny.

Reactions: paulstoute

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
This was from a year ago. I used a plastic battery tray and Velcro strap for mock up and am now using a metal Jegs group 31 pan. That's a group 31 flooded lead acid from batteries plus. 105ah
IMG_3635.JPG IMG_3581.JPG

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
I think you may have me sold on a passenger side aux battery but I have a couple other questions for you...
IMG_4338_720.jpg
This is my passenger side engine bay. It appears you just zip-tied the power steering res to the A/C line, is that correct? I also have a relay box right where I would like to mount the battery. I don't see it on your rig. Did you have to relocate something like that? I only looked at it for about a second but I believe I can relocate it behind the ABS pump pretty easy. One last question, are there any additional supports under your battery tray?

Shczurek

Dec 28, 2016
Hey Soy-Quoia I really like your front bumper and Im thinking of doing similar to my Yota, are you able to post some pictures from bottom of bumper to see how mount are maded ?
Any picture are apreciated ;)
Thanks in advance

Reactions: Jim Smola

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Hey Soy-Quoia I really like your front bumper and Im thinking of doing similar to my Yota, are you able to post some pictures from bottom of bumper to see how mount are maded ?
Any picture are apreciated ;)
Thanks in advance

Yeah that's no problem. It may not be until next week but I will see what I can get. It bolts to the four factory M10 bumper stud locations as well as the M12 holes. It also includes brackets to tie into the front body mount brackets.

I will post up pics as soon as I get them.

Engine build is looking good!

Reactions: Jim Smola