2005 SR5 Future Plans

BigTree05

Sep 14, 2017
IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0927.JPG I've just got my V8 2005 SR5 4X4 Sequoia, it has 201k on it but was owned by the wife of a head Toyota Mechanic and had literally every possible maintenance it would need and is in incredible shape, when I bought it I got a huge stack of maintenance records which was nice, they happened to be decently local so I can bring the truck back to them for future maintenance as needed. My plan is to make it into an overland vehicle and I have some plans laid out but can't do too much because of having to pay for school.

My first plans are wheels and tires, I'll be going with Stealth Custom Ray10's and Falken Wildpeak AT3W's

I will be getting a full lift with Total Chaos UCA's, 650lb front coils and Toytec rear shocks but that is in the future when I can afford it.

In the meantime I'll be getting a roof rack of which brand I have not decided and also a roof top tent that I also have not decided on, I've been looking into slide out cooler/fridges but am still pretty new and am not familiar with brands of overland accessories so I still have research to do. I'll be getting rock sliders and skid plates, people seem to like the "Stubs" rock sliders if I remember correctly and I haven't found any good skid plates. Also leaning towards an off-road addict front bumper and also a winch but have to do more research on winches as well. I'm also planning on a lot of lighting including replacing my OEM headlights, one has gotten a bit foggy and I figure I might as well replace both.

I've heard a lot about getting aftermarket gearing but I'm unfamiliar with the purpose or what ratios for what purpose and don't know if it would be something necessary for me to do. I've also heard about air lockers which I'm also unsure what the benefits of these are and don't know if I'd need them, I don't plan to do any extreme rock crawling or hardcore off-road, but I'm wanting to prepare for anything.

I am definitely wanting a snorkel, but again am new to the brands etc. I don't want it necessary for deep water, rather for clean and cold air. I've looked into exhaust and headers but haven't seen too many obvious or significant benefits. The only thing I'd considering doing to the exhaust is changing it to a side exhaust to enable driving with the rear window down without sucking carbon monoxide into the cab.

I'm also looking for ideas I may not have considered so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure others have far more experience than I do with this, I am also not very mechanically abled and this will also be a sort of venture into learning about mechanics and DIY building as I have mostly just paid for things to be done for me in the past and as a result have never been entirely familiar with my vehicles. There are some things I'm sure I will still have to have done for me but my goal in that aspect is to do as much as I can personally.