2005 Sequoia Overland

05Sequoia

Feb 7, 2017
CA
2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4x4

Suspension/Drivetrain:
-Icon 2.5 Extended Length Tundra Coilovers (700 lb springs)
-Camburg Tundra UCA’s
-One inch differential drop
-Off Road Solutions High Angle Inner CV Boots
-Norma Stainless steel metric silicone hose clamps (9mm band)
-Durobumps front bumpstops
-SOS Performance Stoptech Big Brake Kit
-Stainless steel brake lines

-OME 863 rear springs with Dobinson GS59-685 shocks
-Extended rear bump stops with off road Timbrens
-Metaltech rear lower control arms
-Sonoran Steel adjustable panhard
-Wabfab extended rear swaybar links
-Detroit Truetrac limited slip rear
-Spidertrax 1.25” wheel spacers
-Rear differential extended breather

-285/70-17 Cooper STT Pro tires on stock wheels

Protection:
-Skid Row front and transfer case skid plates
-Stubbs welding sliders
-ARB Sahara Tundra front bumper (mounting holes in bumper drilled one inch higher)
-Westin LED lights​
-Smittybuilt X20 Winch​

Additional:
-Gobi Stealth roof rack with ladder
-Baja designs 40” LED light bar
-LED rock lights
-Custom rear tire carrier (most parts from comp4x4)
-Third row seats removed - rear shelf with fridge slide out and Co2 tank bracket
-VSC/TRAC switch
-Land Cruiser 100 series snorkel with custom “A” pillar mounting bracket (Taken off)

-TetonX Hybrid Trailer

DSC_0408resize.jpg DSC_0413resize.jpg Overland 2016-200cropresize.jpg Overland 2016-263resize.jpg
82D0EC8A-884F-40A3-878D-952A5BE98AF0.jpegF46D9072-03D6-47E5-9B53-87010B2C5AAE.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4x4

Suspension/Drivetrain:
-Icon 2.5 Extended Length Tundra Coilovers (700 lb springs)
-Camburg Tundra UCA’s
-OME 863 rear springs with nitrocharger 60002 shocks and OME shock stone guards
-One inch differential drop
-Off Road Solutions High Angle Inner CV Boots
-Norma Stainless steel metric silicone hose clamps (9mm band)
-Detroit Truetrac limited slip rear
-Spidertrax 1.25” wheel spacers
-Custom length sway bar links (4crawler offroad)
-Rear differential extended breather

Protection:
-Skid Row front, transmission, and transfer case skid plates
-Stubbs welding sliders
-ARB Sahara Tundra front bumper (mounting holes in bumper drilled one inch higher)
-Westin LED lights
-Smittybuilt X20 Winch

Additional:
-Gobi Stealth roof rack with ladder
-Baja designs 40” LED light bar
-LED rock lights
-Custom rear tire carrier (most parts from comp4x4)
-Third row seats removed - rear shelf with fridge slide out and Co2 tank bracket
-Land Cruiser 100 series snorkel with custom “A” pillar mounting bracket
-Yellow box speedometer calibration unit

Giving credit where it is due, all the photos that are attached were taken by https://www.instagram.com/dirt_road_travels/

Great build and welcome to the site.

05Sequoia

Feb 7, 2017
CA
Thanks for the compliment. I didn't know this forum existed until recently. There really is a ton of great information on here and I wish it was around when I started this build a few years ago, it would have saved me from going through so much trial and error to get it dialed in. I hope some of this is helpful to others that have the same type of build in mind.

Reactions: BigPermoe

05Sequoia

Feb 7, 2017
CA
As far as the Gobi rack, it was expensive, but you get what you pay for. The fit was perfect and the build and hardware were top quality. I had to make a special request to get brackets for an LED light bar, but I just looked at their website and it looks like they offer that as an option now.

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Great looking rig! I'm curious about the Gobi as well. Please share your thoughts on both the rack and the ladder. How far does the ladder stick out on top? Would it clear the rear spoiler? If you wouldn't mind, share some pics of your tire carrier.

05Sequoia

Feb 7, 2017
CA
So, I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor who is a fabricator by trade and any crazy idea I have he is able to make it happen. I only have a couple photos right now, but they should give you an idea. The only thing that isn't in the photo is there is a metal plate that sits on top of the plastic bumper and is bent at a 90 degree angle around the back to serve as a bump stop. It is bolted through the plastic bumper shell into the extra metal support that you can see just above my trailer hitch. I also have a LED light and my license plate mounted on the tire now. I'll try to get better photos when I have a chance. I built it in January of 2014 and its been on a bunch of trips and I have had no issues with it.

2014-01-14_11-09-14_788resize.jpg 2014-01-25_13-35-27_28resize.jpgB1E345D3-C5A7-492C-9D8C-790582F850DF.jpeg

Last edited:

05Sequoia

Feb 7, 2017
CA
One other thing about the Gobi that I just thought of. It obviously shifted the center of gravity of the truck and the VSC system did not like this. Anytime I am just driving on the road I keep the plug out of the brake reservoir to disable the traction control. When I am doing any sort of technical off road driving I plug it back in so that the ATRACS will function properly (ATRACS actually is awesome for anything other than deep sand). This doesn't bother me, but it is something to note for others.

Last edited:

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
So, I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor who is a fabricator by trade and any crazy idea I have he is able to make it happen. I only have a couple photos right now, but they should give you an idea. The only thing that isn't in the photo is there is a metal plate that sits on top of the plastic bumper and is bent at a 90 degree angle around the back to serve as a bump stop. It is bolted through the plastic bumper shell into the extra metal support that you can see just above my trailer hitch. I also have a LED light and my license plate mounted on the tire now. I'll try to get better photos when I have a chance. I built it in January of 2014 and its been on a bunch of trips and I have had no issues with it.

View attachment 304 View attachment 305
Excellent!!

Honestly we are all on the same page here with our Sequoia's and that is one reason I love them so much. We all have the blank slate and we all come up with something different.

I've been trying to get someone to make some skids made for the rear lower control arms. Any way you can throw that bone to your neighbor?
I can send some pics of what I've been thinking about.

Reactions: 05Sequoia

05Sequoia

Feb 7, 2017
CA
Soy-Quoia - I don't have a spoiler on my truck so I'm not sure, but it it looks like it is made to fit over one. I have had no issues with the ladder. In my opinion it is necessary if you want to take full advantage of the rack. I weigh over 200 lbs and climb up and down frequently and its never had an issue.

05Sequoia

Feb 7, 2017
CA
I've had the same idea about the rear lower control arms and lower shock mounts... I have to hammer my shocks off now because the lower posts are bent. He has been pretty busy lately, but go ahead and send me the pictures and I'll talk to him.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
I've had the same idea about the rear lower control arms and lower shock mounts... I have to hammer my shocks off now because the lower posts are bent. He has been pretty busy lately, but go ahead and send me the pictures and I'll talk to him.

I've got someone working on the shock mount skids for us. I am testing them out now.
IMG_8055.JPG IMG_8053.JPG

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
One other thing about the Gobi that I just thought of. It obviously shifted the center of gravity of the truck and the TRAC system did not like this. Anytime I am just driving on the road I keep the plug out of the brake reservoir to disable the traction control. When I am doing any sort of technical off road driving I plug it back in so that the ATRACS will function properly (ATRACS actually is awesome for anything other than deep sand). This doesn't bother me, but it is something to note for others.

Thanks for the reminder 05Sequoia! I forgot to mention the VSC switch I installed this past weekend. If you are interested, the write up is here:

https://sequoia-forums.com/forums/threads/2007-sequoia-soy-quoia-build.32/page-2#post-577

Really like the rear bumper! Knowing and having connections in the fabrication industry is awesome!

silverback04

Recognized Member
Jan 9, 2017
what ever you did to that ARB to fit more snug im in love with, i have a picture on my desktop at work of a sequoia with an arb bumper but it stuck out so much i didnt like it, but yours is WOW

Reactions: Jim Smola

05Sequoia

Feb 7, 2017
CA
I spent a lot of time dry fitting that bumper. A couple things I liked about it was that it was crash tested and it was easy to get.

The bumper is really only two main components: the brackets that attach to the frame and the bumper that attaches to the brackets. I found that if I drilled holes about one inch lower in the bumper it would raise the bumper into place using the unmodified brackets that came with it. I wouldnt recommend trying this just based on my rough measurements though.

Also, if you look closely at the ARB bumper you'll notice it is about 3/4" too narrow on both sides. This wasn't a big deal for me, but something to note.

05Sequoia

Feb 7, 2017
CA
Skid plate setup:
-Front: ARB bumper to ARB protection plate (comes with bumper) to Skid Row Tundra front skid plate
-Transmission: OR Fab
-T-case: Skid Row Tundra skid plate (I noticed that Jim Smola had issues with his transfer case skid. Mine was the right fit, but I believe I had to drill a couple extra holes in the frame and fish around inside the frame rail to get the nut to line up with the hole and thread the bolt through, wasn't easy)
Skids Front resize.jpg Skids Rear resize.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Skid plate setup:
-Front: ARB bumper to ARB protection plate (comes with bumper) to Skid Row Tundra front skid plate
-Transmission: OR Fab
-Diff: Skid Row Tundra skid plate (I noticed that Jim Smola had issues with his transmission skid. Mine was the right fit, but I believe I had to drill a couple extra holes in the frame and fish around inside the frame rail to get the nut to line up with the hole and thread the bolt through, wasn't easy)
View attachment 317 View attachment 318

I did weld in nuts so I didn't have to fish them.