2001 sr5, the grey whale

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
The seller said he'll talk to the manufacturer and get me another can.
I may just go generic silver for the sliders that are on their way.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
The seller said he'll talk to the manufacturer and get me another can.
I may just go generic silver for the sliders that are on their way.

You will find that the sliders are very slick when wet. I like the textured paint for this reason. Also you will want a color that you can get again and again for touch ups later on.

Reactions: cddallara

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
That's why I'm thinking an off the shelf silver. Also for the front bumper when it shows up ;)
If I can't find anything close I can go to an automotive paint store about 45 minutes away and get something custom mixed.

Reactions: Jim Smola

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
image.jpg So yeah. Checking Krylon metallic silver vs Toyota silver sky metallic. We'll see next week when they get installed. The cap was pretty close color-wise...

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Had a moment to try and address the small occasional water leak in the passenger front footwell.
After searching, it was said a possible fix was to remove the cowl and silicone the plastic inserts that the screws go in.
When I removed the cowl piece, I saw these inserts, along with a couple large pre-formed holes in the metal panel itself. I couldn't see how siliconing the inserts would make any difference.
There was also a reference to the wiring grommet on that side and running a bead Of silicone around it. Mine didn't look to be leaking so I didn't do it.
And the end of it all, I gave the area a good cleaning, getting all the gunk and leafs out of it and buttoning it back up.
I only have a small wet patch sometimes after a rain so I'm not too worried.

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Took the plunge on a very expensive can of 1D6 (silver sky metallic) spray paint from ebay.
Going to test it out on my fender flare that the PO completely bungled.
If it's a good enough match, I'll get some more for the BFF bumper and Stubbs sliders.

View attachment 445 View attachment 447 Before leaving feedback I am attempting to reach out to the seller for a solution to the obvious color difference.
While I get that matching 17 year old paint can be a challenge, these aren't even close :(

The second can did not work out either, it's basically a clear coat. I've asked the (very helpful) seller for a refund.
I would not recommend this product. The quality of the paint is fine, just the color is off (twice).

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Decided to attack the failing shadowline on the driver side of the truck.
Sucks that the weatherstrip is built into the black coating on the trim.
Sliced off what was left (keeping the weatherstripping of course) and scuffed the trim with a image.jpg purple scotchbrite pad.
Hit it with some semi gloss black (no primer).
Not the greatest job but it looks better than half chrome, half peeling black.

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Took my son up to Auburn, Ca for a mountain bike enduro race. The truck was a pain to use as a shuttle (without a rack) but went up and down the American River canyon all day long Friday without a problem.

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Very handy for getting in and out. My little guy (almost 4) finds them especially helpful!
Can't wait to actually use them as sliders though ;)

Rob

Familiar Member
Apr 4, 2017
I don't know if you ever resolved your paint issue, but try paintscratch.com also get the catalyzed clearcoat. The clear Is what makes it look professional in the end.

Reactions: cddallara

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
A member on Facebook may soon be parting one, hopefully it's the right color.
If not, the flares will get grey hammered rattle can to match the sliders and soon to be BFF front bumper.