2 ohm 6.5" infinity reference separates in my front doors

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I recently had a chance to install some infinity reference separates:
https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Ref..._feature_keywords_three_browse-bin:5857835011

in the front doors of my 2001 JBL equipped SR5 Sequoia, using mjmaudioinnovations adapters:

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK098

The installation took about an hour and everything lined up great.
I did in fact install the tweeter along with the woofer. I tried to keep as much of the original harness as possible. I used a small female solderless connector on the negative terminal of the woofers (re used the original female connector on the positive terminal.)
I used solderless butt splices on the tweeters because they had leads already soldered on from the factory.
In my opinion it sounds great and the adapters were perfect.

Reactions: Jim Smola

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
It sounds great compared to the old cracked mids :D
I need to fix my antenna again or throw some CDs in the truck and really give them a workout.

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
They sound really good, now I just need to replace the upper door tweeters :(

TacoNinja

Feb 9, 2017
i want to go this route with the adapters but it seems like i still have to do some work to use my factory tweeters..

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
I stil need to replace the upper tweeters but they're not that bad.
I'm running the new speakers on the factory crossovers. It's a little bassy but it's fine.
I didn't see any reason to keep the lower tweeters factory since the new speakers came with new tweeters.

jwaring66

Apr 3, 2017
Live in KC, play in AR
View attachment 98 View attachment 99 View attachment 100 I recently had a chance to install some infinity reference separates:

I did in fact install the tweeter along with the woofer. I tried to keep as much of the original harness as possible. I used a small female solderless connector on the negative terminal of the woofers (re used the original female connector on the positive terminal.)
I used solderless butt splices on the tweeters because they had leads already soldered on from the factory.

I like this setup- better sound and since my drivers door is on its way out... Did you do anything in the rear doors? Think I may do them as well while I'm at it.

Reactions: cddallara

jwaring66

Apr 3, 2017
Live in KC, play in AR
View attachment 98 View attachment 99 View attachment 100 I recently had a chance to install some infinity reference separates:
https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-6-5-Inch-270-Watt-Component/dp/B002BS5YAA/ref=sr_1_2?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1483214664&sr=1-2&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin:5857835011

in the front doors of my 2001 JBL equipped SR5 Sequoia, using mjmaudioinnovations adapters:

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK098

Where did you connect the tweaters? I hooked them up to the red and yellow that came off the small speaker and got no sound at all.

cddallara

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Where did you connect the tweaters? I hooked them up to the red and yellow that came off the small speaker and got no sound at all.
That's what I did. I had to look up what was + and -. Honestly, I put the door card back on without checking. Sure sounds like they're working though.

jwaring66

Apr 3, 2017
Live in KC, play in AR
Ya I dunno what the deal was. I ended up just mounting the factory 3" mids to that adapter bracket and using them. They are in good shape and sound good. I also added some Infinity's to the rear doors and all of it together is great. Definitely worth the time and modest cost!
IMG_7538 (2).jpg IMG_7535 (2).jpg IMG_7540 (2).jpg IMG_7482 (2).jpg

caseyatbt

Oct 5, 2018
I stil need to replace the upper tweeters but they're not that bad.
I'm running the new speakers on the factory crossovers. It's a little bassy but it's fine.
I didn't see any reason to keep the lower tweeters factory since the new speakers came with new tweeters.

Are the factory crossovers in the door? Can you access them when you have everything apart?