100 Series Snorkel Installation

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
I'm pre-posting in an attempt to make sure I get all mods covered for the end of next week.

Very shortly after I bought the Soy, I purchased a snorkel for a 100 series LC. I have seen a couple installs on tundras but am yet to see one on a Sequoia. I"m sure someone has done it but I thought I would share my experience with everyone here.

I don't have a picture of my exact kit but it is identical to this one:
snorkel.JPG
Wish it didn't say "LAND CRUISER" on the side but I missed that detail when I ordered it... Oh well. In all my haste, I also made sure to throw away the template for drilling the holes. Oops! Not the end of the world as the alignment to the A pillar is not perfect anyway. I will make my own template for the mounting holes and should be good to go.

I will post install steps and pics once I get everything finished.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Yes I've seen one on intsagram and not sure if that guys is on here. Will be awesome to see some pics I've been curious if I could achieve this with my second battery still in place. Awesome thread!

Reactions: kevin pritchett

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Alright guys... Time to update. 100 series snorkel install, GO!

So, first step: When you receive the snorkel you ordered, DO NOT throw away the template that comes with it. Now that we have moved past that, Lets get to pictures and what not...

IMG_4433_720.jpg
So here is my ghetto template I made and my brand new fender all ready to hack up. My inner fender liner was removed and not reinstalled after all the body work. I measured the distance back from the "S" tube that runs under the fender to decide where I needed my hole front to back. After measuring back from the air box opening, this is where I decided it needed to go. I originally had the template a little higher in the front but decided it needed to be lower on the fender. (WRONG!) At this point I removed the airbox to aid on the install. After marking the mounting holes and the center of the intake hole, I grabbed my drill, took a deep breath, and another, and another, had my brother make fun of me and whip out his phone to film everything... And I cut the hole.

So after all this is done, I realize I put the hole about an inch and a half low. The curve in the snorkel did not line up well with the curve in the fender and it just looked like crap. So, by this point I decide my fender is ruined, I grab the pneumatic nips and oblong the hole up an inch or so. I knew I had just over an inch to play with on the bottom edge of the snorkel. So it worked out ok. You can't see my mess up as it is behind the snorkel but I felt like throwing up for a little while!

I placed the template back on the fender to mark the new locations for the mounting holes, drilled those out, and set the snorkel in place. It lined up much better this time but there was still a little work to do. The snorkel sat on the roll of the fender but was at the very bottom of the curve. The top of the snorkel was angled out away from the windshield and did not look good. I decided to tackle that at a later point and started installing the rubber pipe under the fender. The airbox end of the pipe was a little long so I cut a small section out, maybe half an inch or so. I also cut the end of the airbox off a little to help. I put a small amount of black silicone on the inside of the rubber tube, slid the hose clamps in place and installed the rubber pipe on the external side.

IMG_4438_720.jpg
This is a view from the wheel opening of pipe attached to the outer snorkel. That went pretty easy. The other end was a bit more of a challenge. I reinstalled the airbox and, after putting the rubber pipe over the airbox intake and tightening the hose clamp, the rubber pipe kept wanting to slip off. I'm sure it would have been fine if I had not put the silicone on it but being it was a cheap knock-off, I wanted the silicone as added assurance. I looked a round a bit and came up with this plan:

IMG_4437_720.jpg
I ran self tapping screws from every angle I could hit, retightened the hose clamp and it held like a dream. At this point I finished reinstalling the airbox bolts, installed my new K&N filter, and reassembled the rest of the intake.

At this point I refocused on making the snorkel look better; like it was intended to be on the vehicle, not like the hodge-podge hack job it actually was. I grabbed a ratchet strap, wrapped it around the top of the intake pipe, ran it across the vehicle, wrapped it around the opposite side mirror, and tightened. When I got it about where I wanted I broke out the heat gun and slowly started heating the entire snorkel. Once it was warm enough, I tightened the ratchet strap one or two more clicks to allow it spring back. At the same time I continued tightening the body of the snorkel to the fender. I over tightened one bolt on the front lower corner. It started to dimple a little so I backed off and quit applying heat. After the snorkel cooled I removed the ratchet strap, fabbed a bracket and called it complete. For how the whole project started, I am very pleased with how it turned out. You can still see a little dimpling on the front corner but ottherwise I'm pretty happy.

IMG_4440_720.jpg

IMG_4441_720.jpg

IMG_4442_720.jpg

So, there you have it. A 100 series snorkel installed the wrong way but made to work!

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
No, the template didn't really cause any issues. It was more the fact that I was in a hurry/nervous about punching a hole in the fender. I should have mocked it up, taken a step back, or a break, thought things through a little more, and then proceeded. I was in a hurry to get as much done that day as possible and it clouded my judgment.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
No, the template didn't really cause any issues. It was more the fact that I was in a hurry/nervous about punching a hole in the fender. I should have mocked it up, taken a step back, or a break, thought things through a little more, and then proceeded. I was in a hurry to get as much done that day as possible and it clouded my judgment.
I can relate. I find myself doing that as well and have to keep myself from getting in a hurry. Hard thing to do.

Last edited:

Rob

Familiar Member
Apr 4, 2017
Very helpful thread thank you. Adding it to my to do list. Been crossing some deep water and would hate to hydrolock...

Reactions: Jim Smola

Rob

Familiar Member
Apr 4, 2017
You said you fabled a bracket after heating it up and stretching. Where/why is this bracket needed?

Rob

Familiar Member
Apr 4, 2017
Do you remember what size hole saw but you used? Just got my snorkel and will be tackling this soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20180315_190824.jpg
    IMG_20180315_190824.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 24

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
You said you fabled a bracket after heating it up and stretching. Where/why is this bracket needed?
Rob,

If you look at the side shot of the installed snorkel, you can see a bit of a cut out in the snorkel. The original bracket was meant to bolt on there as screw to the A pillar. Since my install was slightly off, or the snorkel didn't follow the vehicle right, I heated the plastic and pulled the top of the snorkel towards the center of the vehicle. The supplied A pillar support would not reach from the snorkel rise to the pillar. So, I bent a metal strap almost into an "L" shape, bolted it to the snorkel with the supplied hardware, drilled a hole in metal trim running up the windshield, and riveted my newly fashioned bracket to the trim. I was a little skeptical at first but the snorkel does not move at all. Not in a strong head wind on the freeway or in the car wash dryer.

As for the hole saw, I don't remember what size hole saw I used but it was whatever was suggested. In ended opening up the hole a little after the fact. When I cut the hole, it was too low.

(I realize this may be late... Sorry!)